Psychology
Course
PSYC 100
Professor
Daniel J Levitin
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYC 100INTRO TO PSYCHOLOGYSet 10 Lectures 2223Good luck on your finalsNovember 30 2010So were going to have a guest lecturer today Im going to introduce her in a moment At 500 Im going to fill you in on what the demonstration was about that some of you participated in over the last few weeks We did this demonstration on cognitive and perceptual processing and the influence of bottomup and topdown processing some of you earned 2 points for it but whether you stayed to earn the credit or not Im going to go over the entire demonstration so you better understand it and why we did it and what it means and Im going to show you some data and I didnt reveal to you what the principle was because I wanted it to be a surprise and learning experience for you to experience these ambiguous stimuli before you found out what they were so all thats going to happen today at five But before that we have a wonderful and special opportunity to hear from a clinical psychology whos a professor in our department Melanie Dirks whos going to talk to you about clinical psychology and disorders Please help me in welcoming Professor Dirks Hi so Im Melanie Dirks and Im on the clinical faculty in the psych department and I think that sometimes when people give these lectures they give you a broad overview of all disorders but an hours not really long enough to do it justice so I thought I would try something different Im going to show you what clinical psychologists take what experimental psychologists do and apply psychopathology and how psychopathology develops and ultimately how we treat itIm actually a child psychologist so Im going to focus on disorders in childhood but a lot of what I say applies in adulthood Im going to focus on two types of psychopathology in the interest of time So Im going to start by talking about anxiety in childhood Just an overview of what we know about anxiety in childhood develops and how it maintains and then Ill tell you a little bit about how we treat anxiety disorders And then Ill tell you about something on the opposite spectrum So anxiety is very internalizing process so Ill tell you about ODD which is a very externalizing process If any of you have ever encountered a child with ODD youll know exactly what Im talking about So again Ill give you an overview Ill tell you a little bit about coercion theory which is a learning theory that explains in part why oppositional behavior develops And then Ill tell you about how we apply principles of learning to treat ODDLets start with anxiety disorders in childhood I think finals are next week so most of you know what anxiety is and Im going to be redundant by telling you but Im going to anyway Anxiety is characterized by focus on threat or danger Generally when were talking about anxiety were specifically talking about threat or danger in the future worried about things that are going to happy in the future youre worried about taking your finals the paper thats due the date on Friday night Fear tends to be presentorientated You see a bear and you run away Thats fear So anxiety tends to be characterized by very negative behavior or tension which is displayed in a whole bunch of ways that are probably going to be familiar to all of you physical sensations in your body so you can feel it when youre really anxious When Im working
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit