Class Notes (1,036,179)
CA (593,878)
McGill (36,211)
PSYC (3,975)
PSYC 211 (290)
Lecture 6

PSYC 211 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Autoreceptor, Suppository, Intramuscular InjectionPremium

2 pages52 viewsFall 2015

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 211
Professor
Yogita Chaudasama
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Lecture'#6'
Neural'Integration'
- the$interaction$of$the$excitatory$and$inhibitory$synapses$on$a$particular$neuron$$
- if$several$excitatory$synapses$are$active$at$the$same$time,$the$EPSP$will$travel$toward$the$axon$
and$the$axon$will$fire$
o activity$of$the$excitatory$synapses$produces$EPSPs$in$postsynaptic$neuron$
o axon$hillock$reaches$threshold$of$excitation;$action$potential$is$triggered$in$axon$
- if$several$inhibitory$synapses$are$active$at$the$same$time$as$the$EPSP,$the$IPSP$will$diminish$
the$size$of$the$EPSP$and$prevent$the$axon$from$firing$
o activity$of$inhibitory$synapses$produces$IPSPs$in$postsynaptic$neuron$
o IPSPs$counteract$EPSPs,$action$potential$is$not$triggered$in$axon$
Neural.Inhibition.does.always.produce.behavioral.inhibition.
- for$example,$a$group$of$neurons$may$prevent$me$from$putting$my$hand$in$the$fire.$If,$however,$
those$neurons$are$inhibited$(i.e.$prevented$from$producing$an$IPSP),$those$neurons$will$NOT$
suppress$my$behavior$and$I$will$put$my$hand$in$the$fire$
o inhibition$of$inhibitory$neurons$makes$the$behavior$for$likely$
neural.excitation.does.not.always.produce.behavioral.excitation.
- for$example,$when$we$are$dreaming,$a$group$of$inhibitory$neurons$are$activated$to$prevent$us$
from$acting$out$our$dreams.$If$this$activation$fails$to$occur,$people$will$at$out$their$dreams$
o excitation$of$neurons$that$inhibit$a$behavior,$suppresses$that$behavior$
- autoreceptorsà$do$not$control$ion$channels$or$affect$the$membrane$potential$but$regulate$
internal$factors,$inhibitory$and$decreases$the$level$of$neurotransmitter$release$(on$the$post$
synaptic$level)$
- axosymatic$or$axodendritic$(figure$2.38)$
$
Psychopharmacology:'Drugs'and'their'Effectiveness'
What'is'a'drug?'
a. a$chemical$substance$used$in$the$treatment,$cure,$prevention$or$diagnosis$of$disease$or$used$to$
enhance$physical$or$mental$well$being$
b. a$chemical$substance$that$has$“perceived”$beneficial$effects$on$perception,$consciousness,$
personality$and$behavior$(e.g.$narcoticsà$numbing$pain;$opium,$hallucinogens).$Some$drugs$
can$cause$addiction$if$abused$(e.g.$cocaine,$heroin)$
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Subscribers Only

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.