Psychology (3,191)
PSYC 211 (265)

Lecture 1 - Jan 9.pdf

2 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 211
Yogita Chudasama

PSYC211 Lecture 1 - January 9, 2012 • The brain vs. the heart: • Brain is object of awesome power and a mystery • Mystery lies in that it controls almost all human functions • Some Ancient Greeks believed differently. For example, Empedocies and the Chinese believed that the heart was where one’s emotions and thoughts resided • Aristotle believed the heart was the place where thought took place • The heart hypothesis has left a mark: love being symbolized by love, cupid, “heartless”, “oh my blood boils”. Although not accepted scientifically, it did leave symbols • What role does the mind play: • “Mind is the function of the brain” - true or false? • Does it control the nervous system? • Is it part of the nervous system? • Is it a physical entity? • Is it a spirit? • This is the crock of the mind-body problem. How is the physical brain related to the non-physical mind? • Two main approaches to the Mind-Body Problem: • Monism: The mind and brain are the same thing; the mind is a phenomenon of the working of the nervous system (i.e. the brain) • Dualism: The mind and brain (and body) are treated as separate; they are fundamentally different. Religion played a great part • Leonardo Da Vinci found ‘sensus comunis’ (common sense). Was found to be false, but helped start understanding that brain controlled behaviour • Rene Descartes: Mind-Body Interaction: • Descartes believed that: • Bodies were mechanistic • Mind decided movements of the machine • The body responded reflexively • The mind interacted with the brain via the pineal body • Animals do not have minds • If one gets burned, they move because of reflex, not because of the mind
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 211

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.