January23.pdf

2 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 213
Professor
Jelena Ristic

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
It is possible to become functionally blind to certain parts of our visual field if we are paying close attention to something else. This is called change blindness. Most people are confident, however, that they would not be fooled by changes in their visual field, which has been called the illusion of memory. What is attention? There is no clear-cut definition. It is something like the zoning in of our processing abilities on specific pieces of information; when we consciously direct our attention, it is effortful. We have three basic states when we are awake: Attentive, inattentive (drowsy/relaxed), and automatic. The attentive state of mind consists of attending consciously to certain things while ignoring others. William James gave his take on what attention is in 1890. See slide 6 of the attention power point. Harold Pashler also gave his own attempt in his book in 1998, same slide. How do we attempt to define attention? We can try to represent attention through metaphors: – Michael Posner (very important attention-psychologist) thought of attention as a spotlight; he proposed that attention, just like a light, can be turned on or off and directed to different places. – Eriksen proposed a similar idea; a zoomlens. He simply added that there are gradients of attention. Things in the “periphery” of attention are less processed than things in the “middle”. Everything in the spotlight is processed vs everything in the spotlight is processed to varying degrees Properties of attention: 1) Attention is selective: only a few things can be attended to. Only a few portion of sensory inputs are attended to at any given moment; at every passing waking moment, we are bombarded by sensory stimuli (auditory, tactile, visual, etc.), but we don't pay attention to them. 2) Attention has a limited capacity: it is very difficult to attend to two things at once. Example: people are given the task to read a story while copying dictated words. Performance was really bad, even though people improved at switching from one process to the other. When does attention act in the different stages of processing? Stimuli -> Registration -> Perceptual analysis -> Semantic analysis -> Response There are two main ideas proposing where attention comes into play. The “early filter” proposes that attention will act during perceptual analysis; it will filter everything that is perceived but not attended to, not allowing us to process at a these things at a higher level. The “late filter” proposes that attention filters at the semantic analysis level. Both models are proved and disproved by experiments. For instance, when people are asked to attend to (and repeat) a stimulus arriving into one ear while ignoring a stimulus being presented to the other ear, people are completely incapable of noticing if the unattended stimulus's text makes sense on a semantic level (i.e. People can hear complete nonsense and not notice, they will only notice if there is very low-level changes in the stimulus like a change of voice, or if the person's voice is said). An example that goes against the idea of an early filter and rather supports a late filter is the Stroop effect. The meaning of the written word interferes with the task of saying what the colour of the word is. E.g.: blue written in red is hard to identify as “red”, the meaning of the word creates inteference, even if the word is not attended to. Personal idea: could it be that perceptual and semantic analysis are more or less simultaneous instead of being serial? Attentional aids: – Attentional sets: we get better at things when we repeat them; responses are facilitated as time passes. – Swit
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit