PSYC 215 (478)
Lecture 20

Lecture 20.pdf

5 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 215
Donald Taylor

PSYCH 215 Lecture Oct 21 Applying Attribution Theory  Effective communication o Transmit unequivocal message o Negotiating the meaning of words o To be an effective communicator must establish for yourself and for everyone to see a baseline pattern of communicating o Have to establish your own personal baseline for communication o You must establish your personal style of communication o Must be stable (constant, your pattern) and baseline way of communicating o To create stable- must have a pattern, style o Doesn’t mean one style is better than another o Once establish baseline those who communicate with you can understand you better and be able to attribute a cause accurately o To know what is coming from you in that it is evidence of who you are and not due to external factor o You must have a style and have the time for others around you to get to know that style- to be able to make accurate attributions o EX. Someone who always says they love something, means different for a person who never says LOVE and then says “I love you” o EX. Having to tell an employee or a student that their work isn’t good enough- by knowing attribution theory, can do certain things to unsure you are understood, remove ambiguity o If only half decent communicator- look George I’m not saying this cause I’m on a power trip or I want to look good, what I’m trying to tell you is that the work is not good enough o Eliminates certain causes, power trip, focusing on certain attribution I want you to give o EX. Working a Stuart bio building, shout “Laura I wanna see you now!” Could mean something good, or you’re in trouble, or he’s lost something- don’t know what attribution to make o If you have a characteristic way of behaving in situations, people get it immediately  Interpersonal attraction o We want people to like us o How do we do that? o Basic psychology states- The way to get people to like us is to reward them o People will repeat again what’s rewarded to them- rat will push the bar again if you feed him, get dog to roll over by giving treats o We’re not stupid- we do not go to things that give us pain, we do things that we get rewarded for o Attribution theory states- positive or negative reinforcement? o Negative reinforcement- creates more attraction despite giving out few rewards, the cause of red increasingly giving me more positive is because of me- pattern of reward o Yellow- has nothing to do with me, is nice to everyone, continuous rewards  Human apathy o We are often accused of being politically apathetic o Students- so apathetic, you don’t get involved in school politics o Oprah Winfrey- we don’t have the time or energy to be engaged in absolutely everything we come across o We live in a democracy- what we do with a certain amount of legitimacy is we vote people to look after certain things o As long as someone else is looking after it- we’re apathetic o The only time you’ll hear from us is if we have a complain- then we’re not apathetic anymore o As long as moving things in a direction I approve of- apathetic o What’s causing my lack of reaction is not lack of interest is that I delegated the task to you- cause= trust  Our judicial system  Basic attribution analysis  We know what the person did it, we want to know why  Intended to kill = first degree, out of passion= second degree, accidently=manslaughter  The system becomes a study of attribution for us to look at carefully o Insanity  Insanity plea rarely evoked in real life  Insanity is the ultimate external cause for behavior  That wasn’t the real me who did it, I was insane, you cant blame me so you cant put me in jail  EX. Alcohol example, I was so drunk I slept with so many people, BUT doesn’t count because it wasn’t real me that was cause of behavior, I was drunk= EXTERNAL  Buy that excuse allows our relationship to move forward positively  Legally- if you jump in your car after drinking, run over an old lady and get caught- you were the cause and has big consequences  Only if had minimal to drink- but had 53 beers you let him off, because it wasn’t the real him, it was an EXTERNAL cause, he has a sickness, its not his fault  Are we responsible for anything? EX. Just as its in my genes to have a heart attack before 50, it’s the same genes that make me a wife beater, it’s not my fault o Sleep-walking  EX. The night after prof makes up midterm exam, he is happy, but he has to go to dinner party at colleagues house, casual chic attire, boring event- man with a beard and old school scholarly academic, tells him he just finished midterm, great question, what was it? I told them about a case that I think was in California, where a guy went to mother in laws home, stabbed her 47 times to death, and GOT OFF, because he was sleep
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 215

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.