Psychology
Course
PSYC 215
Professor
Donald Taylor
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYCH 215 Lecture Oct 26  SELF o Red dot test: put animal in environment where there is a mirror, they get used to it, after a while you put a little red dot in the middle of their forehead- for most it doesn’t change anything, for chimps the second they recognize the dot and start touching it- recognize self o Even in children 2+ o Primitive self awareness even in organisms beyond humans (not same complexity) o Distinctions between “me self”= content of the self, self concept, book, I self= actor, agent, who is engaging and being proactive, reader o Self awareness- humans are unique in level of awareness o Experimentally you can manipulate- we change our focus as we go through our natural day navigating the world o In the lab- bring someone in and put a mirror in front of them, they become highly self aware, very inwardly focused on self o Mirror triggers self awareness o Occurs naturally when someone draws attention to you personally o EX. In similar science class, prof had a pair of gloves cause it was January, lost a glove, came to class with one glove, students noticed he only had one glove, “it’s my Michael Jackson imitation”, when you teach you become VERY NOT SELF AWARE  Must put all of that aside, otherwise it’ll drive you nuts  One day, he’s in the car, gets out and grabs his glove= THE LOST ONE  Now he comes to class with the other glove on, everyone notices! The worst lecture he gave  That little incident made him suddenly self aware- so self aware that he simply couldn’t function o Natural state is not that you are not aware of self, self-awareness is not in heightened state, there’s bound to be incidents throughout the day that make us self aware o What impact does becoming self-aware have? Not bad, we don’t do enough of it, we need to have more self awareness situations for the most part, when in a state of heightened self awareness, it is NOT a pleasant experience, usually a time where we get a great insight to ourselves why so negative? o When we’re self focused, we tend to examine ourselves in the context of internal standards we have for ourselves this is the person I’m trying to be, our self has an internal representation of that, so when self aware we analyze ourselves compared to the high standards o Being self aware is almost like a constant reminder that we’re failing to live up to our high standards o Can someone doing therapy and counseling help? This guarantees someone to become self aware- natural way that we become made self aware that tends to make us miserable  Maybe good therapy should b, to talk about anything BUT them o Forming a psychological self, or self-concept is a social phenomenon- how do I obtain knowledge about myself?  I look to others if they respond to me like I’m boring, intelligent, funny, gives me information about me NEED TO SEE OTHERS REACTIONS  Self is ultimate individual process, is social phenomenon o Self-discrepancy theory:  We care around a view of our self, more than one view of who we are, HIIGGINS- “the ideal self” = the internal standard, “the actual self” = analysis of where I’m actually at  Rarely is a persons actual self exactly the same as ideal self, the bigger the gap, the more distressed the person is  Ideal selves guide us- where we’re trying to head, puts meaning in our behavior  Even though being self aware can be a miserable experience, it guides us- puts meaning to our actions o Oprah Winfrey and Self-esteem  Almost as if Oprah wants us to feel good about ourselves, with no ifs ands and buts, if you feel good about yourself your life will be better  What that ignores, even the field of social psychology ignores, the content of the self self-esteem answers, am I any good? Am I worthwhile? Doesn’t answer the content of who I am  The content of the self really matters (we know attitudes, stereotypes, cognitions, self- guide us)  EX. Cocktail phenomenon- put them in a room as if at a cocktail party, have animated conversation all you have to do is have someone whisper your name in the corner, don’t hear other conversations, ONLY YOUR NAME we are tuned when its personal o Self-Verification Theory  In my self somewhere there is content  The content that I have matters to me  It matters insofar as I tend to look for information to verify or validate the information, the content  Content in yourself- this is who I am. Blind to lots of information coming in about it, but when information fits with the “this is who I am” then acknowledge it.  EX. Italians use their hands and are loud, we walk down to winners, 5 groups o
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 215

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit