Psychology
Course
PSYC 215
Professor
Donald Taylor
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYCH 215 Lecture Nov 21 Social Roles Be effective signalers to others about our role during a period of time. 1) Spiritual leader- at one time would signal, would wear a collar or something, at some point the priest gets bothers, people will not talk about certain things, so dress like everyone else- bad idea, along comes this guy who doesn’t signal his role, and others don’t adjust their conversation, and would find that out later, leaders discover they find out things they didn’t want to do know- so develop a pin to quietly indicate their role. 2) In business, informal, egalitarian, no more titles, no role designations, the person phoning wants to speak to certain person, start out with complicated story, oh sorry I’m just the receptionist, we don’t say that  Lots of times have to use subtle ways can’t announce it, when are you acting as friend, boss, as equal? As someone you are intimate with? Roles you need to learn how to signal- if that important, have to learn how to signal  Prof in the midst of construction, 30 guys with shovels, green overalls and red hardhats, those are workers, one guy walks differently, has a clipboard, white hardhat, and walks around signaling, that’s the foreman, food truck arrives and side opens and workers all rush but don’t buy anything, until guy in white hardhat comes and they all move aside, gets his stuff, now the others buy food  Foreman goes on over to truck, takes off hardhat, and starts eating a doughnut, calls over another worker, and tells him he’s been late 3 days in a row, next time I’m gonna tell you- puts on hate and clipboard- first friend to friend, up till now I’m telling you as a friend- next time I’m gonna tell you in my role as your boss  If we cannot do that we’ll be sending mixed signals- is that the real him or him in his role?  Definition  Lots of times have to use subtle ways can’t announce it, when are you acting as friend, boss, as equal? As someone you are intimate with? Roles you need to learn how to signal- if that important, have to learn how to signal  Prof in the midst of construction, 30 guys with shovels, green overalls and red hardhats, those are workers, one guy walks differently, has a clipboard, white hardhat, and walks around signaling, that’s the foreman, food truck arrives and side opens and workers all rush but don’t buy anything, until guy in white hardhat comes and they all move aside, gets his stuff, now the others buy food  Foreman goes on over to truck, takes off hardhat, and starts eating a doughnut, calls over another worker, and tells him he’s been late 3 days in a row, next time I’m gonna tell you- puts on hate and clipboard- first friend to friend, up till now I’m telling you as a friend- next time I’m gonna tell you in my role as your boss  If we cannot do that we’ll be sending mixed signals- is that the real him or him in his role? o Position in system o Multiple roles o Counter roles  Role Conflict o Intra: its like the message of the role is confused, why would a group develop a role that confusing? Because the group is confused o Ex. Life as a teenager- society not clear in its own mind what it’s asking for- can’t drink but you can go to war, my baby but you’re a grown man now o Society is conflicted about what the role should be the role itself is conflicted o Ex. School- teachers, admin- what about the principal? The role has clear aspects but some very unclear- has to represent staff and protect needs- but then they also represent school board- so caught in the middle, lean too far in one direction, reaction o EX. Hockey Coach- can’t talk to someone who is demanding things, complain and gossip assistant coach who’s role it is to keep morale up o Inter: Conflict between roles- what group would create roles so that most of its members are caught within an inter role conflict- most of the time no conflict, role as father and fire fighter don’t conflict- only if you get great big disaster, save family or community? Caught. o Inter role conflict, 2 roles, 2 demands that don’t fit o Through changing gender roles, we see inter- women caught in role as nurturer and domes
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 215

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit