Psychology
Course
PSYC 215
Professor
Donald Taylor
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYCH 215 LECTURE Sep. 28,2011 o English community was small in numbers but powerfully economically was outraged- violating rates o Quebec government realizes must apply law rigorously o When was applied, and continues to be applied- sounded ludicrous- fined because sign was only in English, won’t be allowed to sell unless change ways o If percentage of French not high enough- company is fined o Clear reaction to culture and language under-represented o If English already had positive attitudes about French, children would be bilingual only Francophones were bilingual- power of English had to be o English were not bilingual o Now force positive attitude towards French- dissonance, forced to use French send my kid to French school, work more in French, but I hate the language, I have to do it, resolve dissonance: maybe the language isn’t that bad. Cannot take away action (speaking French), it is enforced by law, have to accept it. Change attitude! o Quebecers still feel language is under threat- English think they are disadvantaged by laws o Worked well- statistics show, Anglophones in Quebec are bilingual, francophones are not o Force kids into French- by end of high school fluently bilingual, francophones don’t learn English; don’t sell out, French schools difficulty having English schools. o English kids in French schools, never use French- speak French solely towards other French speakers o Language bill created elite human being- Anglophone fluently bilingual competing with francophone not bilingual any national organization, recognizes bilingual Anglo group unfairly placed as a result of government policy o Dissonance serves as a very useful vehicle for attitude change, all because Festinger made a very crucial error: behavior agai
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 215

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit