Psychology
Course
PSYC 215
Professor
Donald Taylor
Semester
Fall

Description
MIDTERM  Wednesday, October 12  7:40-8:40pm LEACOCK 132  STILL CLASS WED 3:30 Responsible for:  All lectures: including Wednesday?  Chapters 1,4,5, 12 Format  Multiple choice PSYCH 215 LECTURE Oct 5/2011 Social Perception Data is behavior. What we say and do, and form perception. We develop an attitude through behavior. We do not know what to do with all the behaviors we encounter everyday. How do we perceive it?  If you ask people to write at the top of the page who am i? Don’t write a story just write who you are, you don’t write down behaviors, for the same reason that social psychology doesn’t know how to study behavior.  Don’t write, I went to starbucks You describe yourself in traits: characteristics, aggressive, friendly, intelligent  Don’t we assume a trait is related behavior, summary of a bunch of behaviors: aggressive implies you exhibit aggressive behavior in different situations- behavior summary- you are aggressive  Kids answer- in behaviors- Julie stole my doll this afternoon  Number of traits people write, who am I or who is other, use between 7-11 traits. Not extensive list. o That’s the number of different elements that normal human beings can hold in working memory 7-11, not smart enough to think of self in more than 7-11 terms? o If people are going to describe selves in 7-11, derived from behaviors, why don’t we study traits? Manageable only 7-11 to deal with. Instead of exposing lab to extensive list of behaviors, why not study limited traits? Control inputs. o How do you perceive someone by just switching one trait? All early work focused on traits not behaviors. Here are some traits that a person has… o Traits: he is nice on the inside. Ugly. o People want to hear about behaviors that exemplify the trait. o Vague, not raw material- trait= warm. o Lots to learn studying traits: intelligent and punctual, what else do you think he is? Probably an accountant. Can infer using traits. See traits improvising with as consistent. Assume people are consistent. But saying punctual, intelligent and warm. People confused. o Come away dissatisfied. Not getting to root of matter: how people behave and how that serves as bedrock as the perceptions we make o Developing theories: after a bunch of these studies, theorists a bunch of these traits, 85 traits and these are common traits in English language. Form theories about central traits. Central trait- if you put that trait in, or is opposite it makes huge difference to perception. 4 the same and 1 different, changes perceptions. o Learn central trait- for yourself learn what to work on, 4 central and 75 that don’t matter, focus on 4 that are the bedrock of decision making people use to form perception about me o Any trait can be central- what is it paired with o Warm and cold= central, bunch of traits, warm given, creates ambiance, put cold, changes o Punctual= not central o What you select as surrounding trait really matters o Ex. Give traits that suggest coldness, and use word warm, warm looks central because it stands out- if you give warm- friendly, outgoing ect. And then you give cold uptight trait, cold becomes central- stands out o Sociable and talkative, and then say warm- doesn’t add much  Stereotype o Stereotypes defined: consensus among members of one group about the attributes of another group  Consensus of members among one group- never used in attitude- individual  Consensus about another groups attributes- not always just traits  Could be a consensus that must people in Quebec speak French, not a trait, almost a behavior- to be more general  Attributes about another group- a genuine group process beyond an individual process  If I have perception about attribute of another group- not stereotype, NEED SHARED PERCEPTION  We laugh because we have shared perceptions of groups  If one were to take the stereotype, we presumably have a reason, simplifies our world for us, difficult to do a psychoanalysis on the essence of every single being, would take forever group, make assumptions about traits attributes and characteristics  Race, cultural, gender stereotype bad features, as basis process, helpful  Ex. Stereotype about bankers shared, useful, when go to the bank and want a loan, dress a certain way, know how to talk, assume things and it i
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 215

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit