PSYC 215 (478)
John Lydon (30)

Lecture Notes on October 10

3 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 215
John Lydon

Self verification - need to predict responses of others in order to have positive social interactions - If others view me differently than I view myself then - epistemic (know you aren't being yourself) and performance anxiety Self verification vs. self enhancement - people prefer positive feedback from other - consistent with a self enhancement motive - Low self esteem people - People with a positive self image go for favourable feedback - Most people with a negative self concept preferred people who saw them in a negative way as opposed to positive - They see people who see them negatively as knowing them better - Overall - everyone wants to feel good - favourable feedback improves mood - Automatic response is yes, I like that - people with low self esteem then control the response by saying, oh wait that doesn't fit me - Motives to self verify - firmly held self view - enduring relationships (want the other person to know the true you) - interactional consequences Symbolic Self Completion (Gollwitzer & Wicklund) - We strive for goals to gain a self definition - Difficulty in pursuing the goal is a threat to self definition - We compensate with other symbols to complete the self definition - Assistant professors affirm their self definition by symbolizing their identity (ex. more likely to put PhD after their name) - Self Completion Paradigm Self Completion Experiments - Personality feedback that you do not fit the ideal profile for something that matters to you - When you are threatened with "Female Professional", you are quicker with your responses than those who are not threatened by it - Second half of study: guys are expected to meet Debbie, and attractive woman - She likes modest guys in some conditions - She likes guys who show how great they are in other conditions - Guys are asked "How capable do you think you are in comparison to other college students?" - Men who got positive feedback found it easier to be modest Perceiver Effects - Goals, motives, expectancies - Will the perceiver rely on expectancies and stereotypes along? - Or motivated to allocate increased attention to the data -- the target's actual behaviour Expectancy Confirmation - When the target behaves consistent with the perceiver's expectancy - Behavioural confirmation - self fulfilling prophecy - When the perc - Classroom - Teacher expectancy effects - those expected to be late bloomers improved the most - Student expectancy effects - Kids who got feedback "your teacher got great ratings from her old school" ended up getting higher grades - Job Interview - Race - Black candidates were treated differently by interviewers than white
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 215

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.