Fall 2014

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 304
Professor
Andrea Ashbaugh
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
September 7th -9th 2010
Lecture 2-3
CHAPTER 1
Tabula Rosa – John Locke
Tabula Rosa: Blank state – child id product of his environment – no knowledge, no preferences.
All content (data, rules) is derived from experiences
1. Associations
2. Repetition
3. Imitation
4. Rewards
5. Punishment
Implications of this view of development from bringing up a child?
Side note: Locke's self → “The little and almost insensible impressions on our tender infancies have vert important
and lasting consequences”
Seminal Developmental Ideas
Rousseau:
Development proceeds according to an inborn timetable.
Rousseau: “Nature provides children with its own guide for growth, including their own modes of feeling and
thinking”. But children are not unfilled vessels.
Nativism:
1. Development unfolds in a series of stages.
Experience world through senses, ar active; intuitive, concrete reasoning relates to experience; minimal interest in social
rels till puberty; eventual interest in theoretical reasoning emerges.
2. Experience provides knowledge, but child ought to be the guide.
Environment can certainly shape children. But we run risk orf interfering with nature's plan: “Everything is good in leaving
the hands of the creator of things: everything degenerates in the hands of men”
Von Herder (1870s):
Cultural Relativism
Recognition culture/community plays a role in developmental
Darwin (1850s):
Natural Selection
1. In any species there will be a variation among certain traits (hair color, your speed, strength)
2. These variations are biologically based (behaviors)
3. Not all members of a species can survive, so there's competition.
So in a given environment, some are more able to reproduce, survive than others, so they have a benefit.
Pavlov, Watson, Skinner
Behaviorism
From introspection to empiricism
Watson: Conditioning of reflexes explains all changes in behavior, simple or complex.
Ex: Popping balloon associated with white rabbit (now, conditioned response – rabbit - makes baby cry)
Empiricism: objectivity (but too narrow).
Gesell
Believed human development guided by species-specific, biologically-unfolding processes, what might you expect
to see in terms of the sequence of the species' developmental progress?
Used 1-way mirror
Innovative observational methods:
1. There is a highly predictable sequences to normal development. And a range of timing for it.
2. Norms (motor characteristics,
3. Minimal effects of environment on sequences (if any).
*Normative/Nature
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
th th September 7 9 2010 Lecture 23 CHAPTER 1 Tabula Rosa John Locke Tabula Rosa: Blank state child id product of his environment no knowledge, no preferences. All content (data, rules) is derived from experiences 1. Associations 2. Repetition 3. Imitation 4. Rewards 5. Punishment Implications of this view of development from bringing up a child? Side note: Lockes self The little and almost insensible impressions on our tender infancies have vert important and lasting consequences Seminal Developmental Ideas Rousseau: Development proceeds according to an inborn timetable. Rousseau: Nature provides children with its own guide for growth, including their own modes of feeling and thinking. But children are not unfilled vessels. Nativism: 1. Development unfolds in a series of stages. Experience world through senses, ar active; intuitive, concrete reasoning relates to experience; minimal interest in social rels till puberty; eventual interest in theoretical reasoning emerges. 2. Experience provides knowledge, but child ought to be the guide. Environment can certainly shape children. But we run risk orf interfering with natures plan: Everything is good in leaving the hands of the creator of things: everything degenerates in the hands of men Von Herder (1870s): Cultural Relativism Recognition culturecommunity plays a role in developmental Darwin (1850s): Natural Selection 1. In any species there will be a variation among certain traits (hair color, your speed, strength) 2. These variations are biologically based (behaviors) 3. Not all members of a species can survive, so theres competition. So in a given environment, some are more able to reproduce, survive than others, so they have a benefit. Pavlov, Watson, Skinner Behaviorism From introspection to empiricism Watson: Conditioning of reflexes explains all changes in behavior, simple or complex. Ex: Popping balloon associated with white rabbit (now, conditioned response rabbit makes baby cry) Empiricism: objectivity (but too narrow). Gesell Believed human development guided by speciesspecific, biologicallyunfolding processes, what might you expect to see in terms of the sequence of the species developmental progress? Used 1way mirror Innovative observational methods: 1. There is a highly predictable sequences to normal development.And a range of timing for it. 2. Norms (motor characteristics, 3. Minimal effects of environment on sequences (if any). *NormativeNature
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit