PSYC 331 Lecture Notes - Liposuction, Playgirl, Eating Disorder

2 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 331
Professor
Ariel Fenster

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Socio-cultural variables
Playboy magazine centrefolds became thinner between 1959 and 1978
Although one study found that the trend toward portrayals of increasing thinness was
levelling off an analysis of playboy centrefolds were becoming even thinner. This study
showed that models shown on the internet have unhealthy levels of thinness
The findings for female body size showed increasing thinness in keeping with unrealistic
cultural pressures; in contrast the body size of the male Playgirl models had grown due to
increases in muscularity and the body sizes of typical males had also grown but cuz of
increases in body fat
Females still feel more pressure than males
Barbie look- increase bust by 12 inches, reduce waits by 10 and grow to over 7 feet in height
5 and 6 year olds exposed to Barbie images suffered lower body esteem and greater desire to
achieve the thin ideal
confirmed that women who are portrayed as eating heavily are indeed seen as more masculine
and less feminine than women who are portrayed ad eating light meals
the scarlet O’Hara effect refers to this phenomenon of eating lightly to project femininity
In gone with the wind mammy admonishes scarlet to eat a meal prior to going to a barbeque
so that she would appear dainty by eating very little
Prevalence of obesity has doubled since 1990; currently 20-30% of north Americans are
overweight, perhaps cuz of an abundance of food and a sedentary lifestyle
Increasing prevalence of obesity to an evolutionary tendency for humans to eat to excess to
store energy in their bodies for a time when food may be less plentiful
Found that weight dissatisfaction was associated negatively with age among women (younger
women were more dissatisfies with their weight) but this association was not evident among
men
This study also found that women were more likely than men to wish they weighed less and
were actually doing something to try and lose weight; this tendency was found regardless of
whether their actual weight was in the acceptable range as prescribed by body mass index
tables
Women place greater importance on appearance than men do and that this diff exots across
the lifespan and can even be detected among the elderly
There are diff among females and males in the extent of their internalization and acceptance
of prescribed body image standards
Standards as a key component of risk for eating disorder and related dysfunctional behaviours
31% of Canadian young women from grades 6-10 thought that they were too fat. The
proportion increased with age and by grade 10, 44 % indicated that they were too fat
dieters increased from 7% of men and 14% of women in 1950 to 29% of men and 44% of
women in 1999.
A new study in southern Ontario found that in more than 2,000 girls aged 10 to 14, 29.3%
were dieting and 1 in 10 had maladaptive eating attitudes suggesting the presence of an eating
disorder
By grades 9 and 10 more than 25% of young women in Canada were on a diet when the
survey was conducted
The diet industry is valued at more than 50$ billion per year.
Also liposuction (vacuuming out fat deposits just under the skin) is a very common.
There are some indications that this preoccupation with being thin moderated somewhat at
least in the 1980s
Found that the # if articles on dieting increased steadult during the period when centrefolds
were becoming thinner
Analyzed the content of three women’s magazines to 1991 and found the # of articles on
weight lose has decreased in cosmopolitan and Ms. Over this period
Shifted from the degree of content to an analysis of the relative impact of various media
Found that increases in eating disorder symptoms were associated with increased exposure to
fashion magazines and these increases were not associated with amount of television viewed

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Socio-cultural variables  Playboy magazine centrefolds became thinner between 1959 and 1978  Although one study found that the trend toward portrayals of increasing thinness was levelling off an analysis of playboy centrefolds were becoming even thinner. This study showed that models shown on the internet have unhealthy levels of thinness  The findings for female body size showed increasing thinness in keeping with unrealistic cultural pressures; in contrast the body size of the male Playgirl models had grown due to increases in muscularity and the body sizes of typical males had also grown but cuz of increases in body fat  Females still feel more pressure than males  Barbie look- increase bust by 12 inches, reduce waits by 10 and grow to over 7 feet in height  5 and 6 year olds exposed to Barbie images suffered lower body esteem and greater desire to achieve the thin ideal  confirmed that women who are portrayed as eating heavily are indeed seen as more masculine and less feminine than women who are portrayed ad eating light meals  the scarlet O’Hara effect refers to this phenomenon of eating lightly to project femininity  In gone with the wind mammy admonishes scarlet to eat a meal prior to going to a barbeque so that she would appear dainty by eating very little  Prevalence of obesity has doubled since 1990; currently 20-30% of north Americans are overweight, perhaps cuz of an abundance of food and a sedentary lifestyle  Increasing prevalence of obesity to an evolutionary tendency for humans to eat to excess to store energy in their bodies for a time when food may be less plentiful  Found that weight dissatisfaction was associated negatively with age among women (younger women were more dissatisfies with their weight) but this association was not evident among men  This study also found that women were more likely than men to wish they weighed less and were actually doing something to try and lose weight; this tendency was found regardless of whether their actual weight was in the acceptable range as prescribed by body mass index tables  Women place greater importance on appearance than men do and that this diff exots across the lifespan and can even be detected among the elderly  There are diff among females and males in the extent of their internalization and acceptance of prescribed body image standards  Standards as a key component of risk for eating disorder and related dysfunctional behaviours  31% of Canadian young women from grades 6-10 thought that they were too fat. The proportion increased with age and by grade 10, 44 % indicated that they were too fat  dieters increased from 7% of men and 14% of women in 1950 to 29% of men and 44% of women in 1999.  A new study in southern Ontario found that in more than 2,000 girls aged 10 to 14, 29.3% were dieting and 1 in 10 had maladaptive eating attitudes suggesting the presence of an eating disorder  By grades 9 and 10 more than 25% of young women in Canada were on a diet when th
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit