PSYC 331 (96)
Lecture 10

LECTURE 10.docx

6 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 331
Donald Taylor

LECTURE 10 AFFIRMATIVE ACTION th February 6 , 2013 ATTRIBUTION THEORY  Fritz Heider o Mister balance theory  He wrote a paper about a guy rowing a boat across the river  It led to an explosion almost as big as for cognitive dissonance theory  He questioned: o What are the factors that might determine whether or not a guy will get across that river? o The point Heider was making is that there is a bunch of factors that determine how someone can get from one side of the river to the other  POINT: Heider was bringing BEHAVIOR in the equation of social judgment o HUGE! Understanding = Cause  When we make judgments about others and about ourselves, we try to understand the other person o That is the initial reason why we do judgment  Why do we want to understand another person then? o We want to understand other people to be better able to interact with them  By understanding, we know how to interact with that person  What is it about them that I want to understand? o Their BEHAVIOR o Bingo! o Now, we have behavior in the equation  The idea is that we can now simplify behavior and thus get a way to study it  Scientists ultimately want to understand the universe they live in o By understanding we mean knowing the cause of an event  Not describing o Understanding is translated to finding the causes  There is a small problem: o We spend our days trying to understand the behavior of everyone and of our own behavior as well o POINT: I simply don’t have enough time to analyze the behavior of everyone, all the time  So I make short-cuts ATTRIBUTING POSSIBLE CAUSES OF A BEHAVIOR  Every time we are confronted with a piece of behavior, we immediately think about the possible causes for such behavior  At some point, I will arrive at a decision about what cause the person’s behavior  If I am wrong, the interaction will go badly in many ways o The misunderstanding of the cause of the behavior is going to lead to different expectations and the gap between the 2 persons will increase A) Internal/external  I can take any behavior and of all the causes that I list, I can divide these causes into 2 categories: internal/external  This is a fundamental distinction  Internal o Inside the individual  Ex: The personality of the rower  External o No controllable by the individual  Ex: How much courant is in the river B) Stable/unstable  Is the cause of the behavior stable or unstable?  Stable o It is not going to change o You know that you will have to deal with it all the time  Ex: The guy rowing the boat is not very strong  Unstable o Something that changes all the time  Ex: How hard you try to row the boat is unstable as our motivation, our effort are unstable Only 4 categories possible to categorize a given behavior  Stable/exterior  Stable/interior  Unstable/exterior  Unstable/interior Example: Student meets professor to discuss failed exam  A student comes to Taylor’s office to discuss a failed exam  The key here is the professor since he is the one judging the behavior of the student and consequently adjusting his attitude toward him or her  Behavior: Student obtained 22% on the midterm  Taylor’s attitude toward the student is driven by his attribution of the behavior  As we can see, it is all about the causal attribution analysis Internal/Stable attribution  Internal o This is something about the student  Stable o It is not going to change tomorrow  Taylor’s attribution o The student is stupid o He cannot do better o He wants to understand the student and his understanding is that he is stupid o In this case, his attribution impacts his whole reaction  Consequence o He would be gentle Internal/Unstable attribution  Internal o This is something about the student  Unstable o He didn’t work hard enough for that exam  Taylor’s attribution o He is lazy  Consequence: o No mercy o The professor is not going to give him another chance External/Stable  External o Long-term illness that prevented the student from doing well on the exam  Stable: o She got sick, it is not going to change  Taylor’s attribution o He pities her  Consequence o He would change the academic setting so to accommodate the stud
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 331

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.