Psychology (3,199)
PSYC 332 (199)

PSYC 332 - Intro to Personality

7 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 332
Richard Koestner

Personality Lecture 8: January 24, 2011 Attachment from Infancy to Adulthood Question of the day: • Are our current relationships influenced by the kind of attachment we had with our mother (and father) as infants? o Theory that suggests in the first 2 years of life we develop a working model of how close relationships work (develop beliefs and expectancies if close others are reliable, responsive etc) o This early working model can be a template for what we expect late for close others in relationships Describe provocative finding of Hazen & Shaver 1987:  in this study they used the worst absolute difference manner  they started off very simply  describe 3 ways you may be attached and then ask..  use self categorization to predict outcomes and how you recollected your experiences with your mom when you were very young • Which of the following best describes your feelings? • I find it relatively easy to get close to others and am comfortable depending on them and having them depend on me. I don't often worry about being abandoned or about someone getting too close to me. o Comfortable and at ease in romantic relationship, indicates a secure attachment, this same kind of concept has been used with mothers and infants 2 types of insecure attachment: • I am somewhat uncomfortable being close to others; I find it difficult to trust them completely, difficult to allow myself to depend on them. I am nervous when anyone gets too close, and often, love partners want me to be more intimate than I feel comfortable being. o Indicate insecure anxious-avoidant style, person is reluctant to get deeply connected bc they have worries about that • I find that others are reluctant to get as close as I would like. I often worry that my partner doesn‘t really love me or won't want to stay with me. I want to merge completely with another person, and this desire sometimes scares people away. o Anxious-ambivalent, seeking greater connection  more securely attached, functioned better in relationship. Asked for recollection of early experience with mom/dad and found a link. If you had a strong romantic attachment, you also reported your mom was warm and responsive to you. Implied that perhaps your early attachment had a continuing influence from 2-3 to age of college,  problems with this: only 3 measures, this is all retrospective, if I were to be asked about my mom I could give an answer but the chances is that its accurately capturing is that it is pretty low, and current feelings are likely to influence how you think in the past  breakdown: 60% secure attachment, 40% insecure (exactly same breakdown you get with infants) The grand theory of John Bowlby  Bowlby credited with putting attachment on the map  how the bond btwn caregiver and infant will influence adjustment and adaptation throughout childhood and the rest of one’s life  psychoanalytic proposition – was a belief that our early experiences are formative and will significantly influence our later relationships • Attachment is…“A complex, instinctually guided behavioral system that has functioned throughout human evolution to protect infants from predators.” o Humans are wired to form a close attachment with their caregivers o Children will display a sequence of attachment related behaviours (crying, clinging, following) that will elicit attachment response from caregivers o Biological basis to this o Largely evolutionarily determined o Important for survival for child to stay close to mom, and do things for the mom to stay close to her o Primary purpose: protect from predators and danger: • Secondary Proposition: o Emotion regulation – bonds with care givers allow to regulate emotions and in particular negative emotion (fear, anxiety)  bowlby also added an individual difference to attachment also, he suggested that btwn 1-2 years old, even though all children are attached you can still make distinctions in quality of attachment (secure vs. insecure) Attachment in development • Normative patterns o Normative processes related to attachment that youll see in nearly every single human child, regardless of whether they’re in western or eastern culture o Certain predetermined processes that will encourage formation of a strong bond btwn child and caregiver o By age of 12 months almost every child has a strong bond • Failure to attach? o Something has gone dramatically wrong o Developmental disability o E.g. with autistic children – sometimes you don’t see an attachment btwn child and parents at age 1 Relation to Emotional Development Around 7-8 months, 2 landmark developments related to attachment – figure prominently in thinking the way in which children are managing their attachment relationship • Stranger anxiety • Separation anxiety Film: that describes these  7-8 months become afraid of strangers, become anxious if parents walk out of the room, disappear  stranger anxiety can be alleviated if parent goes and reassures child  separation anxiety cant be alleviated until parent returns  this is a healthy and important development and natural for kids to be anxious with strange objects/animals/adults  evolutionarily predetermined  children need to use their parents to deal with the emotions aroused and settle themselves down How to assess infant attachment? • Strange Situation for 12-18 mth old o reaction to stranger & returning mom • Secure – 65% • Insecure o Avoidant, 20
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 332

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.