PSYC 332 (199)
Lecture 4

Lecture 4.docx

7 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 332
Richard Koestner

Lecture 4: 2013/01/17 Questions of the day: 1) How well can the Big 5 traits describe someone’s personality? - Not sufficient to describe personality 2) What else do we need to know about a person? 3) Can the Big 5 account for personality disorder? - Not sufficient Another Film clip from the office - Can we describe Michael’s personality here with only the Big 5 traits?  Low in agreeableness and conscientiousness. Pretends to be extraversion  Hard to use dimensions to describe him  Bafoon, jerk, character (odd, predictable, amusing, outside of normal range of behavior, thoughts, emotions)  Kind of narcissism - Can we describe Jim’s personality with the Big 5 traits?  Unique behavior (probably angry and frustrated but sang a love song with the boss) - The big 5 traits does not explain what Jim did. The big 5 traits do not capture someone who is odd and extreme as Michael The psychology of a stranger - The Big 5 traits are indispensable in terms of first impression and initial read on another person - There is evidence that in 30 seconds to 1 minute, people can identify your standing on the Big 5 traits. Ratings they give you correspond to how you rate yourself. You can do this without talking or hearing them. The Big 5 traits are Apparent and easy to decode. - However, the fact that you can pick it quickly makes you wonder how deep, and significant it is. - McAdams argument  Dispositional signature  Fuzzy outline The Big 5’s strength become weaknesses - Comparative (linear) - Non-conditional (stable across situations)  If you ask people to describe themselves by making a list of 10 things that describe who you are, it is unlikely that more than 1 or 2 things you list will be traits in the Big 5. It turns out that when people describe themselves, they describe behavior and emotion in more conditional way.  McAdams note that when people describe themselves, they often put condition on their traits. These conditional descriptions are more personalized and unique. Example would be someone is shy in certain situation and assertive in other situation. This tells you more about someone  “My dominance shows when my competence is threatened”, “I fall apart when people try to comfort me”, “I talk most when I am anxious”, “I am a shy person but I love teach big classes”  McAdams states that even though the Big 5 traits are natural, easy to use, they mostly tell us about strangers. However, when we try to know someone else better, we are likely to move to personality qualities that are more conditional.  Conditional: It might vary based on your situation or age.  At certain ages, we have certain challenges that we struggle with (For 11, feeling competence. For 20s, identity and intimacy). There is evidence that we struggle to work through this stage and in fact if we are having difficulties with psycho social challenges of young adulthood, we tend to become introverts and neurotic. However, this are not really capturing your true personality dimension but capturing how you handling these challenges. McAdams Quote: - “Think about someone who you know really well. What is it that you know about him or her that you don’t know about other people? Is it traits? Probably not?” - There is other aspect of personality that we want to learn and use in describing others as we move toward to try to know some better. Try to find out what the uniqueness of person. - “It is likely that you know a person well by knowing what the person’s life is like, what it has been like in the past, and what it may be like in the future. As part of this knowledge you may have access to the person’s desires, needs, wishes, wants, goals, challenges, values, and the unique way in which the person puts this all together, puts this together in a narrative pattern to make sense of who he or she is.” - When you meet someone, you do get to the point where you want to learn about their life in their story. The three levels of personality - Traits (1 level of personality) - Characteristic adaptation  More particular aspects of personality that describe personal adaptations to motivational, cognitive, and developmental challenges and tasks  Not well-organized level. Many variables in motivation, cognition, development.  Attachment style (Secure vs Insecure )  Basic motives (3 main motives: achievement, power, and intimacy)  Achievement: a recurrent preference or desire for experiences of doing well and being successful  Power: desire for experiences of having impact on others  Intimacy: desire for experiences of warm, close, and communicative
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 332

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.