Lecture 13.docx

3 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 332
Professor
Richard Koestner

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade. are saying about us

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 13: 2013/02/19 Questions of the day: 1) Faking it to make it? 2) Is it possible for an introvert to behave like an extrovert? 3) Is it a good idea to try to appear extroverted if you are actually shy? - We can do that if high self-monitoring. Also Amy Cuddy suggests that there is strategy to prepare ourselves more assertive part of Extroversion. We can free our traits but difficult process. 4) How does shyness change across roles or partners and what accounts of the variation? It is possible to act out outside of our biological/cultural traits 1. If it is connected to personal project 2. If there is plan to restore ourselves. 3. If high self-monitoring An interesting study: Lippa 1976 - Darryl Bem did study on how consistent are we and how we might be more consistent on our traits that are important to us. - He followed up participants of Bem 1974 study on consistency of behavior - He knew subjects standing on friendliness/extroversion  Self-report, friend-report, behavioral observation, parent-report  To put people in introversion/extroversion scale th - Cover story: Teaching high school student (2 minutes lesson about triangles to 7 graders)  Filmed and blind coders rated verbal and nonverbal behavior  Natural, Extrovert (projective voice, eye contact, more spaces, more stride length, etc.), Introvert  Also measured self-monitoring (Expressive control; low and high) - Also asked participants to act as introverts or extroverts and teach the same material before  Blind coders did not know whether they were coding introverts or extroverts - RESULTS  Nothing surprise, previously identified as extroverts were rated significantly higher extroverted behavior. (E: 4.3, I: 3.5)  But when introverts were asked to behave like extroverts, are they able to do it?  This depends on whether they are low/high on self-monitoring  Low self-monitors, you can act little different but not that differ (Be an I: 3.3, Be an E:4.0)  High self-monitors, much more gap (Be an I: 3.0, Be an E: 5.0). When they were asked to act as introverts, they can lower grading more.  Introverts can represent themselves as extroverts when they are high in self-monitoring Evidence forAmy Cuddy Perspective - Describe 2010 study:  26 females, 16 males  Random assignment to low vs high power pose
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit