Lecture 19: 2013/03/21
Questions of the day: (David McClelland)
1) How can we identify out dominant motivational orientation?
2) Is it important to select life goals that match our motivational orientation?
How traits and motivation related to?
- Motivation determines what we want to do
- Traits determines how we do
The complexity of Personality (David McClelland’s 1981 Model)
- Involve 5 things in the person that you might want to consider if you want to judge whether
person will be successful in particular career
- Schemas: interpretive filtering system (process information)
Some people might filter information in a optimistic way
Some people might filter information in a pessimistic way
- Values: What is morally important in your life?
- Motives: what you really love to do, what you naturally inclined to do
Personal Qualities Needed to Be an Effective Clinician
- It’s important that empathy being accurate. Need to see other’s emotion.
The interpersonal Perception Task To see how sensitive you are to non-verbal emotions
People with high neuroticism were more likely to become clinician
You need neuroticism to be comfortable to listen other’s problems
The Big Three Motives
- Achievement: a recurrent preference or desire for experiences of doing well and helping
Sometimes called it as Need for efficiency
Achievement people try to do things efficiently
Risk -> can be caught up by the ideas that they need to do it quickly as possible. This
cause short-cut and sometimes cheating
- Power: a recurrent preference or desire for experiences of having impact on others
- Intimacy: a recurrent preferences or desire for experiences of warm, close, and communicative
interactions with others
If people with high intimacy live alone, they feel low well-being
- For these three motives, there are biological, natural incentives associated with these motives and
can be found in kids
Achievement: Variety and challenge
- Assessed in very indirect way. There is no correlation between self-reported motive and assessed
- Achievement and power are not correlated with each other
Most successful people in areas are high in power and achievement
Ach -> innovate ideas
Power -> Sell your ideas
- Intimacy and achievement are not correlated with each other.
- Power and intimacy are correlated in negative way with each otherc
If you high in power and intimacy, it is problem. You are not sure how to behave in your
The Picture Story Exercise
- Present with 6 pictures that are ambiguous (2 for each motives)
- Ask to write story that has beginning, middle, end for 6