PSYC 332 (199)
Lecture 20

Lecture 20.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 332
Richard Koestner

Lecture 20: 2013/03/26 Questions of the day: 1) How can I tell what my implicit motives are? 2) Is power motivation adaptive or maladaptive? 3) Does President Obama have the motive profile to be a successful president? David Winter - He developed the way of coding motives from speeches The Big Three Motives - These three are implicit concerns for thinking about either doing things well, having impact, and relating in close way to others - There is fundamental incentives (evolutionary determined) for each of them - Individual differences are due to largely inborn and early family experience  Parents with permissiveness, high power motivation  Parents with strict toilet training, high achievement motivation z - Intimacy has been more developed and replaced by Need for Affiliation  Recurrent preferences or desire for establishing, maintaining or restoring positive affective relations with others  This correlates with Intimacy motivation by 0.6  But problem with affiliation motive is that coding systems capture whether people worry about keeping relationship and whether being worried about being liked by others  Intimacy does not have worry component and more focuses on connection in a meaningful way with other person How can I tell what my implicit motives are? - Uncorrelated with self-report motives - Uncorrelated with traits - Difficult to have motives assessed  No norms specific to gender, age, etc. - But…. - Moderately correlated with personal goals - Possible to construct description from research correlates – e.g, interests, friendship Traits vs Motives (from McAdams) - “Needs interact with dispositional traits. In general, the way in which a person achieves a goal bay be partly determined by traits, such as extroversion-introversion. But the nature of the goal itself is more likely to be determined by needs. Traits and needs therefore fulfill different functions in personality: needs establish goals, traits describe the behavioral means by which goals are met. In a sense, needs tell us why a person does what he does’traits tell us how.” - Motives energize, direct and select motive-related behavior Motivation and school performance - Achievement DOES NOT predict school performance  IN SCHOOL, no optimal challenge, no personal responsibility, no extend feedback  Reason why there is no relationship between achievement and school performance is that we have failed to design school environment in a way that should ideally designed. - High power and intimacy (affiliation) motivation related to good school performance How do motives influence our personal goals? - Describe McAdams & Emoons (1991)
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 332

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.