Psychology
Course
PSYC 333
Professor
Jennifer Bartz
Semester
Winter

Description
Lecture 10 - Goals Goals - internal representations of desired states - span from the moment to life long - single goals cannot be understood in isolation Expectancy Value Theories - need (how hungry am I?) - incentive value (food relative to need) - expectancy - probability of motive satisfaction o task will be successfully executed (can I do it?) o completing task will satisfy need (will it satisfy my need?) - motivated if expectancy is high and value is high Goal Dimensions Importance-commitment - value - centrality to self o importance in terms of self definition - number of higher order goals served o serves 2+, more committed than if serves only 1 o e.g. being a doctor is good because of money, medicine, status Equifinality multiplicity - energy mobilization o most goals that are important face challenges o more commitment, more mobilizing energy and time to achieve that goal due to high value o persistence - how long an individual is willing to strive for a goal Difficulty - expectancy o high difficulty = low expectancy o less likely to pursue the goal but depends on value of the goal - personal agency beliefs probability of goal attainment o context: responsiveness of environment o capability: self efficacy (personal resources) o importance-commitment may influence appraisals of difficulty  difficulty = subjective appraisal (judged by us)  more commitment = difficulty is challenging (+)  less commitment = difficulty is threatening (-)  cost: investment vs. loss depending on commitment in relationships STUDY: personal goals and subjective well being  longitudinal study  list personal goals at beginning of the term  assess commitment, attainability, progress and subjective well being  affect + life satisfaction  assessed 4 times across 14 weeks 0.4 0.3 0.2 0.1 0 High -0.1 Attainability -0.2 -0.3 Low -0.4 Attainability -0.5 -0.6 High commit Low Commit Changes in Subjective Well Being as a function of prior commitment and goal attainability - results: high commitment goals influence subjective well being and low commitment don’t Problems of acting on goal intentions - which way should I do this? - situations elicit competing responses - opportunities escape our attention Specificity - Implementation Intensions o intend to do Z when I encounter situation Y o increases rate of goal completion STUDY: getting things done over Christmas break  time, place, and specific actions to complete their personal projects  easy goals don’t require implementation  difficult goals: implementation completed goals 3X more likely than without implementation  weakness: perception of goals and difficulty are subjective o implementation: may have lied about completion 90 80 70 60 50
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 333

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit