Psychology (3,191)
PSYC 333 (121)

Lecture 22 - Apr 12.doc

5 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PSYC 333
Jennifer Bartz

PSYC333 Lecture 22 - Apr. 12 Wrap Up Construal: • The actor’s subjective understanding or “definition” of his/her situation • Humans actively construe and even construct the phenomena they encounter • The impact of an objective stimulus critically depends on the meaning we attach to it • Contributed to variability of human behaviour (Mischel) • Naïve realism Naïve Realism: • Subjective experience all equal to objective reality Do not fully appreciate the subjectivity of their own construals • • Do not allow for other’s construals when interpreting other’s behaviour • Differences in construal are because others’ are biased (whereas I proceed from available evidence to reasonable interpreta- tions) • I struggle with ambiguities, others see world as black and white • We are both i) oblivious to and ii) exaggerate construal differences They Saw A Game (History & Cantril): • Princeton-Dartmouth football game (1951) • Rough game, with many penalties and some serious injuries • One week later, History and Cantril had Dartmouth and Princeton students fill out a questionnaire… People See What They Want to See: • “Out of all the occurrences going on in the environment, a person selects those that have some significance for him from his own ego- centric position in the total matrix…” • The game “actually was many different games” • Each version of the events that transpired was just as “real” to a par- ticular person as other versions were to other people • Subjects’ perceptions were swayed by their • “In brief, the data here indicate that there is no such ‘thing’ as a ‘game’ existing ‘out there’ in its own right which people merely ‘ob- serve.’ The game ‘exists’ for a person and is experienced by him only insofar as certain happenings have significances in terms of his purpose.” Hostile Media Perception (Vallone, Ross & Lepper): • A 13-minutes news clip about the 1982 Israeli invasion of lebanon • 144 people, evenly split between pro-Israeli and pro-Arab supporters, saw the clip • The more strongly one believed in the cause, the more they see the favouring reference • Reference favouring the other side was evident in both parties Naïve Realism: • I see the world “as it is” • Objective reality • Why would you see it differently? • Uninformed Biased • • Disposition/traits How Unbiased is the Other Person? Different Construals: Because the other person is: • • Lazy • Unintelligent • Driven by ideology, values, temperament Abortion (Robinson, Keltner, Ward & Ross): • Ask pro-choice and pro-life advocates to specify: • Bases for beliefs (i.e., own construals and as- sumptions about abortion) • Estimate views of those on both sides of debate (i.e., how would “typical pro-choice/pro-life student” re- spond?) • Real differences smaller than assumed differences • Pro-life actual sympathy greater than pro-choice or pro-life estimated it to be (and vice-versa) • Underestimate the ambivalence of the other side • I/we appreciate shades of gray; other(s) see issue as black and white • See own position as rational and the other as ideological • My/our construal stems from reason; theirs from ideology Construct Activation: • Schemata • Chronically accessible constructs • Contextually activated • Beyond the storage bin: Not simply discrete representations • • Connectionist processing and activation Four Horseman of Automaticity: • Effortless • Unintentional • Efficient • Uncontrollable Automatic Activation: • Automatic guidanc
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 333

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.