Psychology
Course
PSYC 403
Professor
Zbigniew Pleszewski
Semester
Fall

Description
Sept 6 - there are many causes of one effect - Aristotle posited this S- Stimulus A- Antecedent Experience V- Visceroception (conscious and unconscious stimuli produced by your brain) P- Personality - when we are talking about behavior, we consider two types of it: behavior is a single reaction (R1, R2, Rn etc) - eg. you greet me on the street, I'm not sure if you're my student or a patient from the Douglas hospital. if I recognize you, then there would be a different response. it doesn't mean that there will always be the same response {and if you're a hottie, then my response will probably be a pervy one, because I appear to be the king of awkward sexual humor} R1 = f (S, A, V, P) - Behavioral style on the other hand is something that holds across many situations - eg. if I'm very shy, I won't start a lot of conversation no matter what kind of stimuli is confronting me. {no, seriously, don't try to stimulate me in /any/ way. ;)} B = f (P) - if you know a person, then you might predict based on R, though this is difficult for people who don't know you very well. R is much more complicated than B - you would behave differently coming from a funeral and coming from a garden party - you might produce the antecedent behavior by giving sintructions to modify a person's mood - injected adrenaline into patients and then half of the patients were given angering stimuli and the other half were given fear-inducing stimuli, which caused them to have different reactions {note to self: aquire epipens en masse, repeat experiment with funner stim} - if you're sore from exercising or you have a cold, this will change your responses to stimuli - Ontology: what is real, matter or mind? - what is the nature of reality - what is real, what is an illusion - are there several realities, or is this the only one? - is there one universe or many, and how do they co-exist? - to exist means to be a matter, spirit, mind, energy, idea, memory or ...? - does sensory perception make sense? - Ernst Mach vs Dimitri mendeleyev: debate whether the atom exists - believing in atoms is a science fiction {though orson scott card'd be offended} - Skinner said the same thing about the psyche (you can't touch it, you can't see it, you can't do anything with it, so you should abandon it) - later, proof was provided for the existence of atoms - we look at the light spectrum to emphasize that there are loads of kinds of light that aren't visible to the human eye - the remaining elements of the human spectrum are visible to other apparatus - Röntgen discovered the x-ray Monism: there is only one reality - which one it is
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 403

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit