Spring 2018

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 471
Professor
Richard Koestner
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Intrinsic motivation→ our natural interest in exploring things we are curious about and extending
our abilities/capacities
Ed Deci’s fundamental Q
- He created the self determination theory
- Ed was focused on why people stop pursuing activities that formerly seemed to be highly
self rewarding
- Things we used to experience as flow as adolescents, which we no longer do
- Eg. childhood sport, musical instruments, reading for pleasure
- Find that the reason for this is because well meaning adults motivate us in the
wrong ways
- The broader definition of intrinsic motivation= the natural propensity to engage one’s
interests and exercise one’s capacities
- Ed states this is an important quality of humans; we are evolutionarily wired this
way to engage learning
- More specific definition of intrinsic motivation is doing something for one’s own sake; an
end to itself
- Eg. reading book because you’re interested
- Opposed to doing the activity for some instrumental purpose eg. read so that you
do well in your exam
Examples of intrinsic motivation
- Example of intrinsic motivation is the prof’s reading of the harry potter series, which he
would re-read and even pre-order earlier → also the hunger games books
- If you’re intrinsically motivated then you will pursue challenge
- Engagement with books commonly begins early on for children
- If you grow up in a family where both your parents are educated, you typically get 1000
hours of book reading when young
- If you grow up in a poor family you have around 10/15 hours
- The prof’s daughter could not read until 3rd grade; tried not to force her/push her
- Found that she was intrinsically motivated to read
- But her teacher in 4th grade created a book reading competition where 1 boy and
1 girl would win a Kermie award based on the # of books read
- An adult had to sign something as proof that you read a book
- Found that this dec her intrinsic motivation, though she did win the award
- 3rd/4th grade reading habits is a predictor of future school success
- Prof sound that his reading trajectory showed a systematic decline from ages 10 to 30
- By age 30, barely reading out of interest
Pizza hut “BOOK IT!” Program
- Pizza hut created a motivation program for children in grades K-6 called BOOK IT!
National Reading Incentive Program
find more resources at oneclass.com
- More than 20 million students participate in the program every year, which
rewards them for reading accomplishments with free pizza, praise and
recognition
- Some kids may not like to read so it helps get them started, and for those who
like to read stand a chance to win free pizza
- Found to actually cause problems; intrinsic vs extrinsic incentives do not align
(they compete)
- Extrinsic incentives overcome the intrinsic ones
-
Free choice paradigm (Lepper et al) →
used to explore the effects of rewards, praise,
competition, deadlines and other controls on intrinsic motivation
- Pre-test to identify intrinsic activity for our sample
- Eg. study done on preschool in Stanford used novel fun drawing activity
- Random assignment to control vs reward
- Control: play with art materials and make picture for 15 minutes
- Intrinsic motivation
- Rewards: if you make a good picture, you get a certificate of excellence and this
is posted in the school hallway
- Extrinsic motivation
- Performance period
- Explicit ending of required activity
- Control condition just tells them the activity time is over
- Reward condition tells them it’s over + gives them certificate → every kid gets the
reward
- Free choice period with observation
- A week later in a different setting, the same drawing activity was introduced
- Observed how much time each child spent with the target activity
- The amount of time spent was an index of their intrinsic motivation

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Intrinsic motivation our natural interest in exploring things we are curious about and extending our abilities/capacities Ed Decis fundamental Q - He created the self determination theory - Ed was focused on why people stop pursuing activities that formerly seemed to be highly self rewarding - Things we used to experience as flow as adolescents, which we no longer do - Eg. childhood sport, musical instruments, reading for pleasure - Find that the reason for this is because well meaning adults motivate us in the wrong ways - The broader definition of intrinsic motivation= the natural propensity to engage ones interests and exercise ones capacities - Ed states this is an important quality of humans; we are evolutionarily wired this way to engage learning - More specific definition of intrinsic motivation is doing something for ones own sake; an end to itself - Eg. reading book because youre interested - Opposed to doing the activity for some instrumental purpose eg. read so that you do well in your exam Examples of intrinsic motivation - Example of intrinsic motivation is the profs reading of the harry potter series, which he would re-read and even pre-order earlier also the hunger games books - If youre intrinsically motivated then you will pursue challenge - Engagement with books commonly begins early on for children - If you grow up in a family where both your parents are educated, you typically get 1000 hours of book reading when young - If you grow up in a poor family you have around 10/15 hours - The profs daughter could not read until 3rd grade; tried not to force her/push her - Found that she was intrinsically motivated to read - But her teacher in 4th grade created a book reading competition where 1 boy and 1 girl would win a Kermie award based on the # of books read - An adult had to sign something as proof that you read a book - Found that this dec her intrinsic motivation, though she did win the award - 3rd/4th grade reading habits is a predictor of future school success - Prof sound that his reading trajectory showed a systematic decline from ages 10 to 30 - By age 30, barely reading out of interest Pizza hut BOOK IT! Program - Pizza hut created a motivation program for children in grades K-6 called BOOK IT! National Reading Incentive Program- More than 20 million students participate in the program every year, which rewards them for reading accomplishments with free pizza, praise and recognition - Some kids may not like to read so it helps get them started, and for those who like to read stand a chance to win free pizza - Found to actually cause problems; intrinsic vs extrinsic incentives do not align (they compete) - Extrinsic incentives overcome the intrinsic ones - Free choice paradigm (Lepper et al) used to explore the effects of rewards, praise, competition, deadlines and other controls on intrinsic motivation - Pre-test to identify intrinsic activity for our sample - Eg. study done on preschool in Stanford used novel fun drawing activity - Random assignment to con
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit