February 20 - PSYC473.docx

5 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 473
Professor
Mark Baldwin

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
02/20 Relational Schemas and Insecurity: Possibilities for Change  Much of social and personality psychology involves “where do I fit in with and how do I relate to” the social world  “Insecurity” in attachment and self-esteem are arguably at the core of lots of problems  Insecurity involves implicit processes as well as explicit o Sometimes it’s quite explicit – we’re aware of why we feel this way  Relational Schemas o SELF-Schema linked to OTHER-Schema  Unworthy SELF <==> Critical OTHER o Linked via INTERPERSONAL SCRIPT  Expectancies of how things will paly out  Unworthy SELF <==> Critical OTHER  IF I fail… THEN he will reject me o Shapes and is maintained by various cognitive processes  Attentional Bias o If you have an expectancy of some kind, you’re going to pay attention to things that fit with and confirm his expectancy o Visual Probe Test  Shown a series of trials – fixations and then a probe  Your job is to identify the probe – where and what is the probe?  You’re shown faces on each trial – do the faces change your ability to identify the probe?  A scowling face vs. a neutral face  The idea here is that if your attention is drawn to one of these faces initially, it may influence your ability to quickly recognize the probe  A probe that replaces a frown – your attention is drawn there  Measuring in milliseconds – how quickly you can identify the probe when it replaces a certain face  Rejection bias: relative quickness of identifying targets that replace a frown  That is to say, is your attention drawn to scowling faces?  The faces are shown for no longer than a half a second and then the probe is shown – what catches your attention? o In one study: VPT Rejection Bias as a function of Self-Esteem and Experimental Condition  Measure of rejection bias  People with low self-esteem show more of this bias towards frowning faces than do people with higher self-esteem  Start with an expectancy and within a half a second your attention is being drawn to frowning faces – the point is that there are other people there who are warm  The question is how do you filter out these scowling people?  You start with the expectancy that people are going to reject me and then the scowling faces are noticed because you’re biased  An implicit measureof insecurity –shows thecognitivereaction to this insecurity  Can we do anything about information processing tendencies that underlie insecurity? o Therapy – addresses many social cognitive steps o Other social cognitive interventions? (i.e. can something like priming address this?)  Recall thePriming Studies o Priming techniques  Guided visualization  Subliminal primes of faces, names o Findings:  Self-criticism effects  Also produces effects on Lexical Decision  Positive impact of acceptance schemas  Possibilities for Change o Repetitive priming may help in some way – create a change in the way that people think about things – hasn’t been that successful in the lab o Other ways of training peoples’ way of implicit cognition? o i.e. Tetris – is difficult at first and take time to change  Starts to influence thinking outside the context of the game – i.e. parking  The idea is that you’re doing the same mental operation -- instead of mental rotation operation practice but mental operation more related to the social cognition o Cued Activation  Trigger or cue a schema?  Can you create these cues in the laboratory?  Example of Professor Baldwin’s friend who was relaxed by the sound of a vacuum. He vacuumed and recorded the sounds and played it back when he was feeling stressed.  Social Anxiety, Baldwinand Main, 2001  A study that tried to create a cue  Study 1  Bogus computerized questionnaire o “compare your answers to socially desirable” – Said to the participants: Sometimes when people fill out these questionnaires they want to know what others would think o Gave them feedback as to whether their answers were desirable or not  Bogus feedback  On some trials they would get a set of smiling faces  On other trials they would get negative feedback – frowning faces  The faces were meant to reflect acceptance/approval or rejection/criticism  Didn’t matter what they said everyone got the same feedback and an equal number of smiles/frowns o Conditioned our subjects so that they would hear one tone sequence, and the row of smiling or frowning faces – trying to condition a stimulus for acceptance and rejection o Did this for 10 minutes and 10-15 approval/rejection trials o CS-Acceptance, CS-Rejection o Lexical Decision with Tones on each trial o What happens when you play the tones later? You’ve create the cues and is this is going to have i
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit