Sexual Ethics: Lecture 1
• Morality: A system that affects all of us.
o A system of principles that define what is right and what is wrong for
individuals but also for groups of people.
• Ethics: The critical questions we ask about right and wrong.
o Why is this right? Why is this wrong?
o A reflection of moral behavior and ideas.
o Inflection on human interaction.
o The values we put in place and consider important.
o Openly Studied
o Advertised Publicly: TV Shows, Comedy, Music Videos.
o We live in a hyper sexualized culture.
o We are becoming pornographic.
• Sexual experience is generally considered inappropriate.
• We define the nude body as a sex object.
• We use bodies to sell products.
• We feel uncomfortable talking about children’s sexuality.
• Contradictory Climate that we live in:
• Brief History:
o Ancient origins: Hippocrates and Gallen
Hippocrates: Women who are sexually active are hysterical.
Gallen: Reinforced Hippocrates’ idea by saying that there is
passive and aggressive sexuality.
o Emergence of anatomical studies and modern medicine 16 18 century.:
Opening the human body after death was considered a sin at the