Sociology (Arts)
Course
SOCI 386
Professor
Marcos Ancelovici
Semester
Winter

Description
Jan 14 th Movements vs Campaigns i.e. Idle No More is a campaign within the enduring Aboriginal movement Challengers to state in SMs are outsiders- can influence the state with SMs and collective action but do not have access to decision-making process on a regular basis Upper classes and businesses engage in “quiet politics” behind doors, such as making calls, having conferences and giving money Challengers to the state and corporations engage in protest to compensate for their lack of resources, because they cannot engage in these sorts of “quiet politics” Tilly’s view of SMs as politics by other means, as contentious politics (a collective political struggle which uses the same processes as nationalism, revolution, and civil war, which are both contained and transgressive) Do movements always target the state? - Not necessarily, they often target the church, social norms, cultural codes etc. - Can be either considered SMs or cultural movements - Largely target the state because the state is responsible for welfare and are seen as the main provider of solutions to problems McTT’s (McAdam, Tarrow, and Tilly) definition of SMs is too restrictive to Snow - Snow says that SMs operate beyond politics and the state - i.e. the women’s movement to change rape culture can also be considered a SM, because rape is illegal but still happens and is underreported/underconvicted - can be about life politics and trying to change everyday interactions - movements do not always stand outside the state, they can also penetrate it (i.e. student movement collaborated with trade unions, women’s movement and has many public officials involved in it) - considers movements against systems (i.e. church, patriarchy) as SMs Zald’s view of SMs - movements are about ideologically structured action Advantages of Snow’s definition - allows for study of SMs before the emergence of the state, because according to Tilly’s definition, they did not occur beforehand - takes into account cultural and religious movements as well as other movements that do not target the state - more inclusive, we can use theories of SMs to account for other behaviour - takes into account everyday, routine forms of action (infrapolitics- everyday politics) such as foot-dragging, civil disobedience, and rumour spreading as forms of resisting the state - takes into account the complexity of movements (objectives and targets) - more open conception of change- includes change at an individual level - more optimistic about the level of agency/power ordinary people possess - points to potential apolitical causes for the emergence of a SM Disadvantages - can start to see SMs everywhere - can lose conceptual specificity and clarity- if anything can be a SM, then nothing is a SM...what’s the value then of having a specific concept to differentiate SMs if there are no other categories of movement? - Typology of movements In all definitions, SMs are partly defined by their social-institutional location as well as tactics and modes of action The general trend has been towards a convergence of tactics, using both insider and outsider tactics- movements become normalized as the state reluctantly accepts them (in liberal democratic societies) Repertoires of Action - Movements are partly defined by their mode of action Why do movements do what they do? - I.e. marches are largely ineffective in influencing the s
More Less

Related notes for SOCI 386

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit