SOCI 395 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Pluralistic Ignorance, Murder Of Kitty Genovese, Victim Blaming

19 views3 pages
SOCI 495
January 22, 2018
Modern Families and Violence
The Declining Traditional Family
• Ol 5% of households i Aeia ae headed  aied sae se aied ouples 8% i
1950)
• Mied opiios aout this
• Poeoe: failies hae lost thei poe ad authority, this leads to dire consequences for their
children --> negative consequences for parents and children
• Judith Stae: taditioal failies ae i delie, ut thee's a eplaeet ith postode
family structures (single parenthood, adoptive parents, foster parents, same-sex parents,
grandparents as the head of household)
We need to embrace the change and we need to accept the alternative family forms
No one ideal or right way --> multiple ways to create a family and we should invest
resources in making life more comfortable for these postmodern families
• Is it eall a soial pole? What's the affet of diffeet fos of failies o hilde?
Especially children in same sex families
Biblarz and Stacey
•Pesue that hilde eed a other and a father because men and women parent differently
• Reseah shos that failies headed ith to paets poal do ette eause fo
families of higher socioeconomic status
• sae-sex parenting research shows that sometimes there are better outcomes for children,
especially within lesbian families
• o ha fo hilde fo sae-sex families
Regnerus
• Sae-sex families have worse outcomes
• The studies o lesia failies had saplig poles, e speifi SES akgouds
• Foe studies suffe fo ethodologial poles size ad saplig ethods
• Did a e stud ased o a lage ado saple ad foud that hilde i sae-sex families
performed worse on many metrics --> unemployment, extramarital affairs, sexual abuse by
parents, educational attainment, depression, lower income, cigarette use
• Colusio: taditioal failies ae the gold stadad fo paetig --> no personal opinion,
just the results of his findings
Regernus Critiques
• Statistial fidgetig aout ho he's opaig to ad the goup he's lookig at
• Copaig apples ad oages
• Does't distiguish etee sae se elatioships aisig hilde as a uit fo ith-
adulthood), and single sex parents who dated a same-sex person for some time)
• Makes the distitio i heteoseual elatioships etee aied ad dioed, ol looks
at children from heterosexual relationships raised from birth-adulthood
• To iease saple size, oies sae-sex relationships where one parent dated someone
of the same sex for four months or longer (broken households?)
• Takig a fail that as ot stale oetie i sae-sex relationships and comparing to
heterosexual married couples overtime
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class