SOCI 234 Lecture : SOCI 234 Lecture 1 What is demography.docx

95 views2 pages

Document Summary

The mathematical knowledge of populations, their general movements, and their physical, civil, intellectual and moral state. The scientific study of human populations - populations at any level (global, population of countries, apartment building, family etc. ) States (populations: size - how big, structure - age, sex, characteristics - education, race, ethnicity, relationship status. Two different types of demography: formal demography - interested in the what of demography. Mathematical focus: social demography/population studies - interested in why is that the state of things. Relationships - why is fertility going up in some places and down in other. Population equation/balancing equation: mathematical combination of core elements of demography. P2 = p1 +b -d +i -o. O = out migration between time 1 and time 2. I = in migration between time 1 and time 2. If we"re talking about the whole world we"d have p2 = p1 +b -d *because there is no migration. Population growth = p2 - p1 = (b-d)+(i-o)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers