SOCI 395 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Jon Entine, Usain Bolt, Theory Of Multiple Intelligences

35 views3 pages
SOCI 495
March 19, 2018
Race, Sports and the Media
• Diffiult fo people fo a pedoiatel hite ultue to aept people of othe ultues
and races into the collective
• Itesetioalit of gede ad atioal idetit
• Not all hite ad lak people epeiee the sae kid of disiiatio --> not all women
suffer from the same issues --> intersections are important to keep in mind, tend to
compartmentalize
• Steeotpes ad iolog, ho uh has to do ith ae ad ethnicity and how much it
determines
Video: White men can't jump
Are blacks better athletes?
• Whites ae aiashed to thik that laks ae ette at spots tha the ae
• Biologial aguet --> evidence for black superiority in sports
• Agues that black people are better are running, how do we explain more black men in the
Olympics than white men?
Jon Entine Taboo
• East/Noth Afias doiate log-distance racing
• Blaks doiate pofessioal asketall
• Must e a geeti/iologial component?
Why is this a social problem?
A group we know to be overall disadvantaged and this group has superior skills/abilities in
some field, like sports, what could be wrong with talking about it?
• Athletiis, itelligee ad lak ultue --> reveals the stereotypes that are nurtured by the
public and media
• Whe e sa that lak people ae ette athletes, ee also saig/pepetuatig the
stereotypes that they are worse at other things --> this is what really matters.
• If thees a elief of natural physical superiroity, there's a subtext of natural mental inferiority
--> less responsible, reliable, smart, wild, less logical, less self-control, more unpredictable
--> might be better at sports, dance, sex
• Blaks ae phsiall supeio, akes the steeotpe that ae ae at a ealie stage of
evolution, closer to apes.
Like apes, thy
the are stronger nad more athetletic
But inferior cognitive abilities
Multiple Intelligence and Minority Groups
• IQ is poleati, diffeet kids of itelligee
• Othe as of eig sat itelliget --> linguisitic, musical, artisitc, spatial, street smarts
• If that's tue ae e a sa that Mihael Joda, Usai Bolt, Beoe all hae e high
intelligence. It's just a different kind of intelligence.
Exceptional control over body, musical intelligence
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

-> less responsible, reliable, smart, wild, less logical, less self-control, more unpredictable. -> might be better at sports, dance, sex: bla(cid:272)ks a(cid:396)e ph(cid:455)si(cid:272)all(cid:455) supe(cid:396)io(cid:396), (cid:373)akes the ste(cid:396)eotp(cid:455)e that a(cid:396)e a(cid:396)e at a(cid:374) ea(cid:396)lie(cid:396) stage of evolution, closer to apes. Like apes, thy the are stronger nad more athetletic: but inferior cognitive abilities. It"s just a different kind of intelligence: exceptional control over body, musical intelligence. Entine population v. race: ra(cid:272)e is a so(cid:272)ial (cid:272)o(cid:374)st(cid:396)u(cid:272)t, does(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e (cid:271)ioloi(cid:272)al (cid:448)alidit(cid:455, based o(cid:374) skii(cid:374) (cid:272)olou(cid:396) a(cid:374)d fa(cid:272)ial features and that is an arbitrary thing. P(cid:396)o(cid:271)a(cid:271)l(cid:455), (cid:271)ut smaller than what they used to be. Not necessarily: e(cid:373)phasize that ge(cid:374)es a(cid:396)e a s(cid:373)all pa(cid:396)t of (cid:449)hat (cid:373)akes so(cid:373)eo(cid:374)e a su(cid:272)(cid:272)essful athlete. None of us is single handedly responsible for polluting the environment. But we enjoy the benefits of years of exploiting the environment. I"m just one person: you became ceo of company, or president of rich country.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers