ANTHROP 1AA3 Lecture Notes - Paleopathology
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
You are a world famous Medical Anthropologist. You are asked to provide suggestions for culturally appropriate
medical interventions. What advice would you give the doctors and hospital administration?
- Incorporate indigenous/cultural idas about medicine and medical treatment
- Implement language-specific doctors, assistants – translation (with patient permission)
- Hire someone with knowledge about the different cultures, about different religions (how that relates to
- Get more information (e.g. forms) regarding patients’ background
- Doctors need some background about that patient
Do Humans Have the Same Disease Now as in the Past?
(Required reading chp. 4. Pg. 178-185)
- Paleopathology – the study of disease and injury in the human skeleton (and sometimes mummies)
- Specialization in Physical Anthropology
- Paleopathology is reconstructive
Some Variables that Affect the Expression of Disease
- Nutritional status
- Immune response
- Age of the individual
- Social conditions (population density, access to medical care, water quality, etc.)
- Environmental conditions – climate (temperature, precipitation, humidity)
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version