Biology – Chapter 11 Lecture Notes
October 1, 2012
Cross section of cilia – transformation
Mitosis – Video/Bioflix
Mitosis-growth, heal, repair
Binary fission – ecoli –
Animals, fungi, plants – cell cycle – consists of getting ready – interphase
Gap 1 – growing (80%) – cell growth &replication of organelles – mitochondria, ribosomes,
microtubule arrangement. Red – actin filaments – green microtubules – blue dna getting
S Phase – DNA synthesis (chromosomes replicate) – 2 sister chromatins on each chromosomes
G2 phase – continuation of G1 – cell growth and duplication of organelles continue to build hthe
protein “machinery” – golgi etc
Not just separation – but merge into one another
Why do Gap Phases exist?
- Checkpoints for regulating control of mitosis so that they can grow & reproduce properly
- Before mitosis occurs, the parent cell must be large enough in size and must have made
the required organelles, so that daughter cells will operate normally
- Checkpoints screw up – cancer
- Thalidomide – drug to recognize cancer cells – to interfere with blood vessel
What is G0 phase?
- The non-dividing state
- See cell cycle – where does it occur?
- Mature, fully formed nerve cells and muscle cells (heart)
- Question: if cells in non-dividing states – is it always in that phas