January 10 , 2013- communications 1A03
Understanding communications book has description of all assignments.
- Writing that is fast precise, brief, no bullshit, and persuasion and above all
We are a story telling culture- 90% of people trust regular people compared to
Smart phones, social media, digital communications, search engines- reshaping the
- Know thy self
- Building a framework for self-evaluation (personal growth exercise).
What is communication?
- The process of human beings responding to the symbolic behaviour of
- Communication is a speech act, a relational and symbolic act
- “ I declare you man and wife”- you have taken an action as being real, but
nobody can touch or feel.
- Tim’s coffee cup is no more real than declaring someone a criminal. (real
- KEY IDEA OF COMMUNICATION
- Virtual and symbolic things can be as real as the material that we walk on.
- There has to be another person in the act ( I declare [another person(s)]
husband and wife).
What is a “sign”?
- Something you can identify- a word (something signified – meaning- and a
- People who develop celebrity personas- product appeal.
- Universal concepts- luxury car and a new singer from a small town. Different
signifier (different photo, word or story line).
- Present product differently however he is universal and will always be the
What are some of the many meanings of communication?
- Transportation of information.
- Artist or story teller (how can I use communication to seduce, terrify,
persuade), What are some types of communication?
- Intrapersonal- no filter.
- Dyadic – communication in pairs, unique form because 75% of personal
revelations for another p