Monday, September 12, 2016
Chapter 1, Org Behaviour Management
What are ORGANIZATIONS?
- Social inventions
- created for people, by people, containing people
- For accomplishing common goals
- Through group effort
- You have to be able to buy into the goal
- Have to be able to work with other people
What is Organizational Behaviour
- Attitudes and Behaviour
- our attitudes explain our behaviour
- Other people inﬂuence you
Why Study OB?
- Source of competitive advantage
link between human capital and ﬁrm performance
- Its not what you've got, its what you do with it
What are the Goals of OB?
- Predict organizational behaviour
- Explain organizational behaviour
- Manage organizational behaviour
1 Monday, September 12, 2016
What is Management?
- Its an art
- Getting things accomplished in organizations
- Managers do it through other people
What is Evidence Based Management?
- pg 11. in the text
- Scientiﬁc evidence (data)
Two Early Views of Management
- Scientiﬁc Management (F. W. Taylor)
- Bureaucracy (Weber)
Human Relations View
- Mary Parker
- Elton Mayo
- Hawthorne Studies
What Does Contemporary Management Believe In?
- Contingency approach
- appropriate style is contingent (depends) on the demands of the situation
- all classic all the time
- all human relations all the time
- blend of both at different times and places
- Depending on:
- the nature of the industry
2 Monday, September 12, 2016