September 10-12, 2012
Dr. Nicole Wagner
- Excel files are called workbooks (.xlsx for 2010)
- A workbook s made up of sheets
- chart sheets
- Can have multiple workbooks and sheets open at once, the one you're working n is
- Rows and columns intersect at cells, which may be identified by their cell reference.
Creative effective Workbooks
- In practice, workbooks can be:
- Used and updated by many people
- Very complicated
- Multiple worksheets and chart sheets, extensive data
- Formulas may be used to populate cells
- One worksheet can be the source data for other worksheets or even
- Contain Macros (some programming code) to automate activities.
- These factors should be considered when planning a new book.
- Good practice:
- Plan out your workbook:
- What problem do you want to solve?
- What data is needed?
- What calculations are required?
- What form should the solution take?
- From these answers determine the worksheets required.
- Include a documentation sheet to describe your workbook.
Navigating in Excel
- There are generally multiple ways to do things in excel (mouse, keyboard shortcuts,
dialogue boxes, etc.)