Axis Mundi – The Great Chain of Being
Pre-18 century culture/literature: God at the highest
Late 18 Century;
Pre-Romantic Axis Mundi
- William Blake observed that there was a change in foot culturally
- The first writer that wrote about these changes
o The changes of thinking of power and human initiative that operates against them
o The upper world that belongs to the divine order begins to be portrayed more as oppressive
- He understands that the axis mundi was flipping upside down
How can it turn upside down?
- Do we still think of God as above us?
- Powers can ascend from below.
- We beg