Introduction to Assignment 2
Growing urban population
Increasing congestion in the core of cities
Increasing recognition of problem associated with car dependency (e.g.
environment, pollution, etc.)
A) Urban Densification: increasing number of people living in the core (and not using
their car). This is happening
B) Alternative Forms of Transportation – e.g. buses, subways, streetcars and LRTS
Research suggest that LRT or Subway construction solves the transport
problem and helps to increase the urban density (around the station)
o E.g. the ‘GO’ Station in Hamilton
- Hamilton has proposed an LRT (Light Rail Transit) System for the city (to be funded
by the city, the province and the federal government)
- A number of routs are planned
o 1. An East-West route connecting Cnetre Mall with McMaster/ University
Plaza via Downtown
o 2. A North –South route connecting the Harbor and the airport, again via
- The LRT Line is expected to be either a curbside or central-median-type system.
o This means there will be dedicated tracks running on the streets.
- The LRT will not stop at intersections like buses and streetcars do, but rather will
stop at purpose-built stations (not unlike a subway stop).
Proposal 8-10 page report
- Short background of the LRT system for Hamilton
- Justification for LRT route through CENTRAL Hamilton
- Justification for 3 LRT Stations
NOTE: your Justifications should report not only why your sites were chose, but why
other sites were rejected
- Discussion of how the north-south route (proposed by you and your partner) will
interest with the ea