Key Concepts in Human Geography 2
Spatial interaction is the amount/level of movement or communication between two locations.
• Everything is related to everything else, but near things are more related than distant
Distance decay is how the level or interaction declines as distance increases.
• Friction of distance is distance that has a retarding effect on interactions. (time, money,
Accessibility/Connectivity is critical for the nature and level of spatial
• Accessibility is the ease with which distance can be crossed
• Connectivity is the tangible/intangible ways that places are
connected. (Tangible: phone lines, internet access, bus routes,
highways) (Intangible: immigration from hometown, political tension)
• Friction of distance is how easy or difficult it is to