Cities and Urbanization III: Global Variations
Percent of the population living urban areas:
• Near 1800: 3% of the world, 10% in the more developed world (MDW)
• 1900: 14% of the world, 50% in much of the (MDW)
• Today: 50% of the world, 77% in the MDW, 41% in the less developed world (LDW)
• Urbanization mirrors industrialization and economic development.
• Typically, MDW is highly urbanized, and the LDW is less urbanized.
• Africa and Asia <40% urbanized, but by 2025, >50% will be.
• By 2025, 60% of the world will be urbanized.
• MDW: 0.83% rate of urban growth, LDW: 3.5% rate of urban growth
Existing levels of urbanization, levels of economic development, differential
Urban growth can only result from further urbanization, but MDW is already highly
urbanized, while LDW has an i