Lecture 1: Human Geographies: City and Economy
September 7th 2012
What is geography?
- "Geography is a flavour"
- "The geography might be a little difficult to arrange."
- Geography - the study of patterns and processes on the earth's surface
- Root words:
- Geo (Greek) - earth or world
- Graphei (Greek) - to write
Two sub-disciplines of geography:
- Physical geography:
- The study of patterns and processes in the physical environment
- e.g., landforms, climate, hydrology,…
- Human geography:
- The study of patterns and processes in the human environment
- e.g., society, culture, economy, settlement,…
- Urban-economic geography:
- A branch of human geography dealing with patterns and processes
related to cities and economic activities
- e.g., (1) What factors underlie urban land use patter