History 1M03 Jan 6 2014
Dr. Sean Corner
Lecture ▯ Core 1
Entering into new worlds, in their shoes▯getting inside their heads
• Helps make better decisions today
• Direct Democracy; here is literal rule by the people instead of a representative
• Elections seems undemocratic to them because it seems to surrender freedom,
represented takes rule and there is no need for public
• Believed that democracy and freedom went hand in hand
o What is freedom?
Free vs. Slave, freedom of choice
o What does freedom have to do with democracy?
Human rights, regulating and creating stability
• Protection of our privacy is our idea of freedom, but for Athenians everyone in
the state sha