After Aristotle, there were many schools of philosophy.
1. Epicurus: had to be permission to come in and listen, to take meal, to have life style. Had to
renounced, pursuit of wealth, give up politics.
- Great support of rationalism. Source of unhappiness is disharmony, philosophy provide
direction to be harmony. Purity is achieved by philosophy. Often Epicurus gave letters to
summarize lessons. Don’t delay decision to begin study philosophy, you are never too young,
too old, too soon, too late to concern about yourself. It is about being happy. His teaching
will provide direction.
- False belief, problem of knowledge, philosophical knowledge takes over you; tranquility
- Denounced eternal soul, however still death is nothing to fear. Nature is entirely different
than plato’s death view. Worlds are generated, destroyed, by perpetual atom. There is
nothing ideal about world, spiritual too. Form of nature is mechanic system that is existed
by survivalists. Fear is the respond to the context that you do not understand.
- Not to be frustrated, need to have right idea of god: 1. God does exists 2. Unconcerned with
human’s affair 3. Gods are nothing to fear, model. Gods are indifferent because they are
immortal and blessed; causing no fear. Happiness Is undisturbed tranquility, as happy, gods
have no troubles and no motive to trouble others. Lastly, existence of evil proves their
indifference. They could prevent evil if they cared. Worshiping is right thing, thinking about
gods create tranquility to in our mind. CONCLUSION: RIGHT UNDERSTANDING OF GOD
- Understanding of Death is required. Death the most frightening is nothing to us, death is not
yet present, if death present, we do not exist. There is no ‘you’ to be harmed, since it cannot
harm you when it doesn’t exist.
- Epicurus; Atomism: natural philosophy/physics/nature are important. Happiness requires
good explanation of the disaster that you may face. All bodies either atomic or compound,
nothing from n