February 4, 2013
Philosophy, Law and Society
- Should philosophical discussions about society, ethics and law consider animals
and future generations?
- Singer: “A Utilitarian Defence of Animal Liberation”
- PU: Utility is identified with the satisfaction of preferences
- An action is right if it results in the greatest net satisfaction of preferences
(in both quantity and intensity) or the smallest net dissatisfaction of
Preference and Discrimination
- Respect for preferences is not compatible with discrimination
- Opposition to discrimination is a key to defence of animal liberation
Equal Consideration of Interests
- Preference Utilitarian believe that everyone’s interests should be given equal
- But what is the basis for this belief?
- Because people actually are equal?
- No: As a factual claim
Principle of Equality
- POE is