SP philosophy’s concerned with the best way to arrange our collective lives
SP’s a normative discipline
John Stuart Mills
- Wrote about logic
- Excerpt from textbook summary: prevent person from harming another
1) Why should individual liberty be respected?
2) Why does harm (physical, direct) to others provide a legit reason for
restricting a person’s liberty?
3) Why’s it necessary and sufficient?
Pg 2 from textbook: “I regard utility…as a progressive being”
Utility: property which attaches to anything with contributes to pleasure and
privation of pain
Disutility: property which attaches to anything that promotes pain and deprives us
Utility/disutility: isn’t restricted to physical pleasure
Utility and utilitarianism:
An action which tends to maximize overall utility or minimize overall disutility is
- Greatest good for the greatest number
Liberty and utility
Is there a tension between Mill’s utilitarianism and his views on liberty?
OL: never restrict liberty except to prevent harm
- But what if restricting liberty maximi