Conceptual Multiple choices questions
1. Two masses of m = 11 kg and m = 25 2g are separated by d = 1.2 m.
The gravitational force that m exerts on m , is:
a. 1.7x10 N
b. 2.0x10 – 8N
c. 1.4x10 – 6N
d. 1.4x10 – 6N
e. 2.0x10 N
2. The mass of the Hubble Space Telescope is 11600 kg. What is the ratio of
the weight of telescope as it is resting on the earth surface to the weight of
the telescope as it is in its orbit 598 km above the earth’s surfaceEarth
W Orbit Take radius of the earth as r = 6380 km.
3. Consider the following forces.
(1) frictional (2) gravitational (3) tension (4) strong nuclear
(5) normal (6) electroweak. Which of the forces listed are considered
a. 1, 2, and 4
b. 1, 2, 3, and 5
c. 1, 3, and 5
d. 2, 4, and 6
e. 2, 3, 4, and 6
4. A rock is thrown straight up from the earth's surface. Which one of the
following statements concerning the net force acting on the rock at the top
of its path is true?
a. The net force is equal to the weight of the rock.
b. The net force is instantaneously equal to zero newtons.
c. The direction of the net force changes from up to down.
d. The net force is greater than the weight of the rock.