Phys 1L03 Tutorial session Set 1
First series questions on unit, significant figures
1. The prefix micro (▯) means
a. 10 6
b. 10 –6
c. 10 3
2. Both sides of an equation must be equal in
a. Numerical value
d. All of the above
3. Can dimensional analysis tell you whether you have used the correct equation in solving a
4. If m/s is divided by s, what is the resulting unit?
5. Use SI unit analysis to show that the equation A = 4 ▯ r is dimensionally correct, where A
is the area and r is the radius of a sphere.
6. if x = ½ gt , where x is length and t is time, is dimensionally correct, what are the SI unit
of the constant g?
7. Which of the following has the greatest number of significant figures?
d. 5.408 ▯ 10
8. In multiplication operation involving the numbers 15437, 201.08, and 408.0 ▯ 10 , the
result should be rounded to how many significant figures?
9. Express the length 50500 ▯m in centimeters and meters to 3 significant figures.
10. Determine the number of significant figures in the following numbers, and then express
them with 2 significant figures.
a. 1.007 m
b. 8.03 cm
c. 16.272 kg
d. 0.015 ms
1 11. The cover of your physics text measures 0.274m long and 0.222m wide. What is the area?
12. A compact disc has a diameter of about 12cm. What is its area in meters squared?
13. The side of a cube is measured and its volume is reported to be 2.5 ▯ 10 cm . What was the
measured length of the side of the cube?
14. The Earth has a mass of 6.0 ▯ 10 kg and a volume of 1.1 ▯ 10 m . What is the Earth’s
15. What is the sum of 5.786×10 m and 3.19×10 m?
b. 3.77×10 4
c. 8.976×10 3
16. In the equation F = - k x, where F (force) has dimensions [ML/T ] and x (distance) has [L].
What is the dimension of k?
17. The buoyant force is given by F =B▯ g V, where F has Bimension [MLT ] , ▯ (density)
has dimensions [ML – 3], and g (acceleration due to gravity) has dimensions [LT – 2].
a. What are the dimensions of V?
b. What could be V: velocity or volume?
18. The resistance force acted on a moving