Phys 1L03 Tutorial session Set 3
Third series: Conceptual questions on kinematics. Multiple choice questions are changed for
1. Can a body have velocity and acceleration in opposite direction in an instant?
2. When a ball is thrown upward, what are its velocity and acceleration at its highest point?
3. If you drop a ball, it accelerates downward at 9.8 m/s . if instead you throw the ball straight
upward , just after you release it, what is the acceleration of the ball.
4. At a given instant of time, a car and a truck are traveling side by side in adjacent lanes of a
highway. The car has a greater velocity than the truck. Discuss about their acceleration (which
one is greater).
5. Displacement can be obtained from:
a. The slope of an acceleration-time graph
b. The slope of a velocity-time graph
c. The area under an acceleration-time graph
d. The area under a velocity-time graph
6. An object is released from rest. How far it fall during the third second of its fall:
7. For a particle, this graph shows its displacement
Discuss about the velocity and acceleration of
the particle. What kind (positive, negative,
constant, zero) can they be?
8. A snowball moves according to the velocity-time graph shown in the drawing below.
a. Draw the position-time graph of snow ball
b. Draw the acceleration –time graph of snowball 9. Two balls are thrown vertically upward, one with an initial speed twice that of the other. What
height the ball with the greater initial speed will reach (compare the height that of each ball will
10. A racing car traveling with constant acceleration increases its speed from 10m/s to 50m/s
over a distance of 60m . How long does it take?
11.A ball is thrown upward with an initial velocity v0. What is its velocity halfway to its highest
12.Figure below shows the motion of a particle moving along an x axis with a constant
acceleration. Find the magnitude and direction of the particle acceleration.
13.Which of the following graphs represents
the motion of an object whose speed
Discuss each graph separately.
14.A car has an initial speed of 15 m/s and an acceleration of –1 m/s . 2 How much distance can
the car travel in the first 10 s after the acceleration begins?
15.From the top of a tower, a person throws two stones. The stones have same initial speed v . 0
But stone 1 is thrown downward, while stone 2 is thrown upward. What is their velocity when
they strike the ground? Which one has longer time of flight?
16.A student drives a moped along a straight road as described by
the velocity-time graph below. Sketch a graph of position-time
and acceleration-time above and below the velocity-time graph
respectively, aligning the time coordinates of the graphs. Part 2 Set 3
Third Series: Problems on Kinematics (Locomotion)
1. A car accelerates from rest at a constant rate of 2m/s for 5.0 s.
a. What is the speed of the car at the end of this time?
b. How far does the car travel in this time?
2. A Thompson’s gazelle can reach a speed of 13 m/s in