INTRO TO 1X03: KEY IDEAS
1)Some of the things you know to be true about psychology are wrong.
• "learning style" like visual, auditory, kinesthetic are not supported by evidence
• Left brain and right brain is not a thing
• Its is a myth that we only use 10% of our brains.
2) Perspectives in psychology change the focus of research questions we pursue and the type of
answers we find.
• Hans the horse was said to be very smart, he could answer any question. In reality, he was
just responding to human behavior and body language.
• First "solution" to psychological disorders was by taking off a piece of the skull to releas
evil spirits --> underlying concept that mental disorders originated in the brain.
3) Psychological processes are embedded in biology.
• Psychological function is linked to biology of the brain
• Qualities that men and women look for in a partner can be explained by biology
• Women: look for older, richer men because when pregnant women are vulnerable and
dependent on others so they need someone who can support and take care of them
• Men: look for good looking, younger women. Health is usually presented as
attractiveness (eg. Shiny hair) so men want a healthy young mate who can bear
4) Your perception of the world is guided by prior experience, biases and heuristics.
• What you hear can be affected by what you're seeing
5) We only have access to a limited subset of reality.
• Brain can only take in so much
• We don't pay attention to everything in our environment only specific important details
• Hemispatial neglect: when a person brain doesn’t pay attention to half of their view
What causes enigmatic opiate overdose?
• Can tolerate high doses. Later take same dosage and they overdose. • Patients can tolerate high doses of drug in hospital. They go home and take same dosage
Psychology embraces Behaviorism
• Ivan Pavlov = set stage for reflexive behaviors that can be learned
• B.F. Skinner
• When you think about lemons you will unconditionally salivate to prepare for acidic
• Babies reaction to lemons is bigger than ours bc they aren't used to it
Learning allows for homeostasis
• Body anticipates challenges to homeostasis and start a response to help deal with that
UCS unconditionally elicits a response.
• CS paired with US elicits CR
• Classical conditioning is able to make new associations in an individuals life.
unconscious process, deals w behavior that you don’t have control over.
Eg: conditioned taste aversion to vodka
• Heroin depresses resp symptoms, helps w pain sensitivity
• Body counteracts drug that dec pain sensitivity by inc pain sensitivity. (UCR)
• UCR counteracts drug effects
• Drug administered cues = CS eg: drug paraphernalia
How does learning cont