• genetics & environment & their interactions
• nature vs nurture
• changes that occur during early childhood and infancy are dramatic
4 loco: students are using this drink more
Why? & who is using it? Is there a predisposition for alcohol abuse?
• Alcoholism runs through families
Testing predisposition for alcoholism
• At Uni California of San Diego
o Will the children who are born to families subject to alcoholism experience the
o Dose of alcohol is given and then person must do tests
If response is HIGH—very unlikely to become an alcoholic
If response is LOW—body can tolerate more and that person is more
likely to become alcoholic
What are the questions of Developmental Psychology?
• How does birth order affect future personality traits and tendencies?
o You can’t really assign people’s traits to birth order yet some tendencies may be
true for some people
Special methods must be used to answer research questions in developmental psychology
• Infant subject—2 images
o 1 high contrast, 1 low contrast
o Which does infant prefer looking at?
• Face might be distracting as long as objects in background
• Experimenter bias
o What do infants know about faces?
Parent’s faces (baby’s like)
o Is a preference for faces innate?
Face stimulus –1 triangle—1 face feature oriented
Yes! Facelike stimuli were preferred
Sex and Gender
• Meet “Gender withheld” Storm (article in the Toronto Star)
o A lot of baggage with respect to male and female
o Kept the gender neutral
o Never revealed sex of the baby
Sex, gender and society • Picture of baby born in black and white 1896 King George IV
• Baby dressed in pink and blue
o Very different behaviours associated with interactions