Class Notes (836,153)
Canada (509,662)
Brock University (12,091)
Psychology (32)
PSYCH 2AA3 (29)
Lecture 10

Lecture 10 (September 27).docx

4 Pages
115 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Psychology
Course
PSYCH 2AA3
Professor
Jennifer Ostovich
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 10 (Thursday, September 27, 2012) Can Babies Perceive Social Signals? ­ We seem to realize very early on what signals mean and how to react to them emotionally  ­ Social referencing and behaviour on the visual cliff ­ Sorce et al. (1985)  ▯research suggested that they would cross the apparatus if it was a foot up, but if it   was more than that they wouldn’t do it  ­ This is interesting because what we do usually when we are confused is social reference Social referencing = look to others for what to do  ­ They would gather information from another person’s facial expression to get the answer ­ They chose 1 year – olds and tried to get them to cross to mom and they were trying to see whether a  baby’s facial expression would make a difference as to whether they would cross ­ Sorce et al. brought women into the lab and trained them to make certain faces in order to provide  cues for their babies  ­ The mom would stand on the cliff side and they would call their babies to them and once they got to  the plank, they would make one of the designated faces and the researchers looked at whether their face  affected whether the baby would cross  ­ They also reacted appropriately to her facial expression  ­ When mom had a joyful or interested look on they would cross and when mom had a fear, anger, or  sadness look on they wouldn’t cross  ­ However 30% crossed when she was sad  ­ When the apparatus was shallow most of the babies didn’t even look at mom (80%) and of the  remaining 20% they didn’t consider mom’s fear face and they continued to cross  ­ When they know that it’s not dangerous they do not consider mom’s face, but when there is the  slightest hint that they think that there is danger they use social referencing  Summary ­ Newborn babies’ sensory abilities range from adult – like to very poor ­ The variance exists because of prenatal experience and how quickly senses develop in order to keep  the baby safe ­ Babies’ depth and face perception abilities are quite good ­ From an evolutionary explanation, it may have been useful and this is probably some biological  disposition ­ Babies can even read others’ emotions ­ Who wins the nativist/empiricist “debate”? 1 Lecture 10 (Thursday, September 27, 2012) ­ It is both combined  ­ Skills are evident quite young from at birth to a few years from birth ­ Some people may say that taste perception is innate, but there is still experience (prenatal experience)  ­ It is important for driving research but it is not a good answer to come to that one doesn’t matter, both  are important ­ Our research methods may not be good yet to allow for earliest detection STOP FOR MIDTERM Cognitive Development 1: Piaget ­ Piaget is the name that is the most associated with the cognitive development field because he is the  main founder of the field 1. Biologist ­ Maturationist perspective  ­ Biological experiences to develop cognitively ­ Believes that we cannot rush knowledge ­ There is no reason to g
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 2AA3

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit