January 7 , 2013
Psych 2TT3: Animal Behaviour
What Characterizes Animals?
- animals (kingdom Animalia)
- immune system
- heterotroph: consume other organisms
- neural structures
- sensory organs
- at some point their body plan is fixed, adult maturation
- should humans be placed in a distinct kingdom?
Why Study Animal Behaviour?
- we are animals
- we like (some) animals
- we are surrounded by animals
- we depend on animals
- research on animal behaviour is relevant for human behaviour
- we don’t always know how people will behave or what they think, we need to
- for example, answer true or false to these questions:
mothers talk to their younger children differently than they talk to
their older children: false.
few students will confess to ruining a computer program if they didn’t
do it: false.
most individuals will notice if a person they are talking to is replaced
by another person: false.
How do we Depend on Animals?
- exercise: write down ways in which animals affect the apples we eat
contamination/parasites: apple maggot fly
parasitoid wasp: feed of the maggot larvae