Psychology of Sexuality
Paraphilia – optional – you may prefer something around but you don’t need it. if you need it to
have an orgasms- sexual disorder. If you are distressed, or egodistonic – you don’t want it – you
can get diagnosed. If there are victims – tend to categorize as disorders, if not we tend not to
think of it as a disorder as long as the person with it isn’t worried
Transvestic fetishism- male wants to dress as a female and vise versa
Voyeurism – common as behaviour engaged in. but less common as a disorder. ½ teenagers
admit engaging in this at some point. If it gets serious you can have victims – this becomes a
problem. Common behaviour to voyeur but it can become a problem if it leads t criminal
- Aman usually who creates physical contact with women in public places without their
consent and without their knowledge.
- You may not know something stranger has happened. Sometimes it is a grope and you
know you have been toughed. Sometimes they touch you with an object, leg and erect
penis. Sometimes pub a bag around their penis to hide ejaculation – suggests criminal
intent and they are criminalized
- They want to grab people – usually women and that gives sexual gratification. If this is
the only way they can achieve and there are victims- they are diagnosed.
- 1/3 university women state they have been groped in public. But they don’t know how to
react to it. It is upsetting and confusing to the women getting groped.
- They seek out crowded places for their behaviour where they have the cover
- Transit authority in LA- sent 600 undercover cops to deter a theft and catch theves- but
they discovered there were 4-5X as much groping going on in subways as there were
thefts. Studies in subways around the world show this is a common thing especially in
- Tokyo and Mexico – women only subway cars where men are not allowed. Reason is that
women were getting groped so they gave them a safe place to go.
- Flasher- someone walks around and exposes genitals to unexpecting victim – usually
women against her will
- They are looking for reaction – that is what gets them off - It is demonstration of masculine power – suggested. Idea you are creating reaction and
that is what gets you off.
- Often – while they are flashing they are masturbating or making suggestive hand gestures
– intent is to scare the women
- This is highly ritualized behaviour. men who do this and for whom this is disorder rather
than something they do once or twice- they may flash people only at church, Tuesdays
etc. their victims ritualized too- young, old, those they can’t know- don’t want to be
discovered. It can happen in public or private – when private it is scary- you don’t know
what is happening next.
- Sometimes there is masturbation accompanying ritual.
- Best way to deal with it – intent is to scare and create reaction – no matter how terrifying
it is best way is to be calm. If you show scare- it is more gratifying for them.
- Usually they are afraid of contact and this is how they get their gratification. Most are shy
and feel inadequate.
- It is very common – 1/3 sexual acts in Canada, Usa and European
- Western culture s- gave women a lot more power than other cultures- women take away
men’s power and men are responding by trying to terrify them with genitals. May be a
response to women’s power. In our culture-1/2 adult women have been flashed and these
women have been flashed before age 16. It has got victims and some are very young.
Suggests there are cultural difference since there are places where this does not happen.
- Related behaviour – obscene phone calls – intent is the same with flashing – related. The
intent is that the person on the other end will freak out and be upset and this causes the
excitement. If you are calm – a lot better than freaking out – in that you do not reinforce
behaviour. offenders are those who feel inadequate either way- whether on the phone or
in person – very high fear of rejection and puritanical attitudes of sex and masturbation –
freud- repressing urges but coming out anyway.
- Are these things funny? – 3 reasons why not – target are women often too young to
understand what is happening and to laugh it off. Young women usually who are scared
by the experience. Targets are scared and sometimes have debilitating fear of sex crimes
after that – fear they will come after you. Not just funny- it can really create distress and
fear in someone. This is one of the paraphilias that escalates - meaning repeat offenses.
More than 1/3 repeat offenders escalate into something involving touching when naked –
scary. Sexual assault appears to be about masculine power and this is in part due to
power. Underlying reasoning is the same. - Children and old women are preferred target- may be because of that reaction
Etiology : behaviourist perspective
- Fetishes – a lot of work on it
- Pavlovs dogs- sees food (US) causes salivation. Neutral stimulus – bell no salivation and
no response. Pairing those things together you get the bell leading to conditioned
response of salivation.
- Awoman creates sexual arousal, but a shoe doesn’t. But paring women with thoughts of
shoes often enough- shoes cause sexual arousal. Process of paring fetish object with
sexual arousal and eventually you get sexual response for the object